How you handle relationships where only one is vegan?

does this mean that you are not in a relationship right now? Circularmotion

Correct. There does not seem to be an abundance of male vegetarians here. :confused: Or even one lol

They might be hiding somewhereā€¦ might be in a common hiding placeā€¦ when you found 1 youā€™ll find them allā€¦ Donā€™t worry Iā€™ll help you with thatā€¦ ANY SINGLE MALE out there!!! lol

Sorry meignā€¦for some crazy reason I thought you were a man! oops :blush:

My wife is a carnivore and I donā€™t mind at all. She has strong beliefs about animal rights and likes my vegan and vegetarian food. So she doesnā€™t eat meat much and when she does, I donā€™t ever cook it. I canā€™t even touch it. In her defence, she has a health condition that is digestive and causes her to lose her appetite (as well as much nastier symptoms). When she wants to eat, she eats whatever is most enticing. Iā€™m bored of telling her how a meat-free diet would be better and sheā€™s bored of hearing it. So we just accept each other.

Iā€™m a big believer in tolerance and acceptance. Doesnā€™t stop me feeling superior though!

Moma peachā€¦ people eat meat just because they do, and we should too, isnā€™t much of an argument really is it? I wonder why the thought of vegans upsets you so much? Iā€™d love to hear your views. There is little Iā€™d love more than for the whole world to be vegan and animal exploitation to have ended. And for me to be more like everyone else because of this.

I call myself vegan because I donā€™t eat, drink or consume any animal products at all. I think thatā€™s the criteria :smiley:

But I can hear what youā€™re saying. And itā€™s an argument you could extend to all areas of your life. Should I work for a carnivore, buy something I need from a carnivore or even allow a carnivore into my house? Is it a separatist existance youā€™re living, meateatereater? I can understand why that would make sense. But it also limits the opportunities to set an example and get your message out there.

I prefer boycotting the big businesses that perpetrate so much animal suffering. (You know the ones Iā€™m talking about.) I loathe them with a passion. I fully believe that if they stopped it and started selling ethical products, people would just mindlessly buy those instead.

Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts on this. :smiley:

Really? Comparing meat-eaters to mentally ill people? People who donā€™t know the truth? Iā€™ve been eating vegan, and itā€™s a PERSONAL CHOICE. Iā€™m starting to hate all these fricken self-righteous vegans forcing their views on everyone, thinking they are superiour. Nobody wants to hear it, and NOBODY likes have views forced upon them, like a religious person trying time and time again to convert you. So, enough rantingā€¦

I date a hunter/fisherman. He doesnā€™t really like my vegan choice (doesnā€™t understand it), but he does not eat much processed meat, only what he hunts. His meat is as pure as you can get, and has led a fulfilling life, until nature or the circle of life or whatever you want to call it came along. Weā€™ve been dating almost two years and live together, and that wonā€™t be changing because of something so silly as our eating habits. I make my vegan meal and he adds meat to it after, no big deal.

I would say even more, NOBODY wants to be killed and eaten - be it human or non human animal.
ā€œForcingā€ an idea upon somebody - hmā€¦ it happens to everybody starting from the day they are born. Like ā€œItā€™s not ok to stealā€, ā€œYou should pay taxesā€ etc. The difference is that these ideas are accepted by the majority in the civilized countries.

As a matter of fact the idea of the necessity to eat meat is forced upon us from the childhood. All the ā€œYou will be sick if you donā€™t eat meat. Eat meat to be strong. Where will you take the proteins fromā€ etc. All the butcheries are hidden from our views, even on youtube some videos are being banned because they are too violent. But for butcheries this is the everyday life - like it or not.

Dating and living with a vegan partner is The Best thing that can happen to a Vegan. Especially if they love each other.
For this to happen more often we have to actively promote this lifestyle, not only for the sake of animals and environment but for the sake of our happiness. :wink:

I agree with the above. Itā€™s not my right to chastise some one for not eating a vegan diet, etc. I think that by behaving in a sanctimonious and self rightous manner, a person is only gonna alienate those people who may well be receptive to following a vegan lifestyle.

It is all about a mutual understanding, if a person is in true love, then he/she can change habit of being a vegetarian or non-vegetarian, or both can just retain there habit, and donā€™t argue on being a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian.Love is all about sacrifice so some times you have to sacrifice all your habits.

Clenbuterol

I can say from my own experience here that I believe it would be so much easier if you could find a partner who has the same beliefs and diet as yourself. I say this because I have recently become a Dietary Vegan about 7 months ago. I never thought about /knew all the dangers of eating meat and dairy. I never really was a big milk drinker but I did like cheese. With this new information, it makes it impossible for me to want to ever return to eating meat or dairy. I do not look at meat eaters as bad people or anything like that. I ate meat and dairy for most of my life. I know that I no longer have certain issues since I gave these foods up. My husband is an Omnivore. It has been very difficult. I say this because we have 2 children and we have different beliefs about what they should or should not be eating. My 3 1/2 year old eats meat but I have been buying organic meat. Yes I know it is still not good but it is the compromise I have made. I buy Organic milk also. However she usually chooses to drink Enriched Rice Milk with her cereal which upsets my hubby. My 14 month old is still breastfed and eats no meat. She eats vegetables and fruit. Once she weans herself she will be given Enriched Rice Milk or Enriched Almond Milk depending on her age. So yes I cook two meals most nights. I would not feel right about not cooking meat for my hubby since I always have. The difficulties go beyond our house. When we recently visited my inlaws, they threw a frozen veggie burger at me which they overcooked (YUCK), a salad, and vegetable with nothing on it saying, ā€œI do not know what you eat.ā€ They never thought to ask me what they could buy/make for me. Yet when they make the 2 1/2 hour drive to my house I make sure my MIL who is a vegetarian has enough options so she is full and that my FIL who has Diabetes has appropriate food for himself even down to when we eat for his levels. We are to go there for Saturday before Easter and I already informed my hubby that they will not be throwing a veggie burger at me. My FIL said he would have me order from a Vegan restaurant and he would get it. I really do not want him to do this every time. I may just give him food he can make for me when I see him next Wednesday. My hubby basically told me that any time we go anywhere it will be a pain because of my food choices! It is difficult to have mutual respect about food choices. He does not agree with nor does he understand. So again I would encourage anyone to try to find someone who has the same ideas about food as yourself and save yourself some hurt, aggravation, and disappointment.

Yes, the vegan has a first hand. I would accommodate vegan as priority :slight_smile:

In fact, that is what my friends, workmates do - adapt to my plant based food choice. First they say they would not do it and I never expect somebody to please my diet choices. But then they get interested, start having fun and soon after- we have mainly veg dishes.

Just go with a smile, acceptance, optimism, mindfulness and humor in the world and people would be attracted to your lifestyle without any effort from your side.

1 Like

I am in big trouble, since I became Vegan I tried to tell everything I know to my boyfriend and I showed him how I eat.
He is still living with his family and his excuse why he is not Vegan(or at least Vegetarian), is that he would get problems at home. but I ask myself how can you say on one hand you love animals and on the other you are not brave enough to fight for it? In my eyes it seems he never understands why I live a Vegan life, and I feel not loved when he is not Vegan, it is horrible when I hear he eats an omlette or anything what was an animalā€¦ for me it is hurting, I wish so much that he could live as a Vegan, because I love him :confused:

can you really hold these relationships? because personally i canā€™t. i couldnā€™t have a relationship with a nazi, a slaughter, a killer or an alchoholic so why to have with a meateater? 1. he wouldnā€™t be able to understand my feelings towards animals
2. he wouldnā€™t be able to understand my point of you for the whole world.
3. he wouldnā€™t be able to understand my dreams and to help me make them true (say, stop farming, make a shelter for strays animals)
4. it would be disgusting to see everyday dead bodies on the tableā€¦ eventually i would die from starvationā€¦
5, i wouldnā€™t be able to share anything with him.
i would never be in a relationship with a meateater, (and iā€™m glad iā€™m into one with a vegan), i donā€™t know if love for the other person can overcome this burden of meatā€¦ and if the love of the one is so big and can overcome meateating habbitā€¦ what about the love of the meateater? shouldnā€™t he compromise or at least try to see the world from a differet prespective with respect and kidness? love can change us, so why not to change for the better?
A Relationship between a meateater and a vegan is like a relationship between a nazis and an activist of human rights!
it could work only if one of them is willing to change or if one of them wasnā€™t passionate about his/her choice.

The only problem is that for the most vegans being one is not about habits but moral values. That is something much more important.

I find myself questioning the same thing. I went vegetarian a few weeks ago and then went totally vegan a week ago. I feel that it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I donā€™t feel guilty about the food Iā€™m eating anymore. I showed my husband some videos on PETAā€™s website. While he was disgusted with the way animals are treated, he still hasnā€™t given up meat. I am okay with this as it was my decision to make and I wouldnā€™t have taken too kindly to someone trying to sway me to their beliefs. My concern is our son. He is 10 months old and I am battling what I am going to do once he is old enough to eat meat, dairy, etc. I feel that it should be his decision to make when he gets older but I just donā€™t know that I can bring myself to buy these things at the store since I have become so against them.

You can bring up a veg child healthy and beautiful. Once he is old to decide, he will.

Iā€™ve found that talking to my boyfriend about my choice to be a vegan helps. He gets frustrated with me and visa versa, but as a general rule he respects my choice and always keeps his home stocked with things that I eat, and unless we go out to eat he doesnā€™t eat meat around me. I can see where it would be easier to be in a relationship with a vegan, but I donā€™t beleive that our challenges are insurmountable, though we donā€™t have children and I can see how we raise our children to be a major point of contention.

my partner isnā€™t veganā€¦ she is totally carnivorous although she enjoys mixed salads during evening mealsā€¦ we are getting along just fine so farā€¦ we respect each others personal philosophiesā€¦

Kensho :flower:

really, it is all about mutual understanding, because a true and honest relationship doesnā€™t get spoiled because of eating preferences. you donā€™t need to change yourself and neither force your significant other. if they are truly committed they will begin to understand you and may be turn a vegan someday.