Bible and Veganism

“I have had enough of the roasted carcasses of rams and of the fat of fattened beasts. I take no pleasure in the blood of calves, lambs and goats . When you spread out your hands, I close My eyes to you; despite however much you pray, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood! Wash yourselves clean! Put away your misdeeds from before My eyes and stop doing evil.”
(Isaiah 1:11, 1:15-16)

“Whatever you do unto the least of my brothers, you do it unto me.”
(Matthew 25:40)

Yeah… don’t you touch my brothers or i will kick your muthafcuker asses :smiley:

"But he who kills an ox is like one who slays a man; "
(Isaiah 66:3)

Excellent quotes, Carolina Thunderbird :smiley:! I have noticed that the bible seems to be full of support towards veganism, that is if one actually takes the time to read it. I do find it absurd how people could possibly read about Jesus, said to be the “Prince of Peace” and the most unselfish, loving being and believe that this kindess only applies to humans (who also happen to be animals). From what I have gathered, The Garden of Eden was to be a place where every animal (again, including humans) lived off of a vegan diet. “Wolves and sheep will live together in peace, and leopards will lie down with young goats. Calves and lion cubs will feed together, and little children will take care of them. Cows and bears will eat together, and their calves and cubs will lie down in peace. Lions will eat straw as cattle do. Even a baby will not be harmed if it plays near a poisonous snake. On Zion, God’s holy hill, there will be nothing harmful or evil.”

• Isaiah 11:6-9

Beautiful translation, Backwood :laughing5:.

Thou shalt not kill.
Exodus 20.13

Who said it’s a translation… it’s the God will speaking directly through me :smiley:

you feel me :wink:

:laughing9:

Thanks, LunarFlowerMaiden :slight_smile:

Here are some more:

Then God said, I now give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the entire earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."
(Genesis 1:29 )
“But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it.”
(Genesis 9.4)

There are a few verses, however, which some students of the Bible will reach for, that seem to support the eating of flesh. But in every case, this is due to inaccurate translations:

For example, in John (4.8 ) it states: “For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.” The word meat was taken from the Greek word trophe, which actually means nourishment. This is exactly the same case in Acts (9.19 ): “And when he had received meat, he was strengthened.” When translated accurately it means that by receiving nourishment, he felt stronger.

In Luke (8.55 ) we find, “And her spirit came again and she arose straightaway: and he (Jesus) commanded to give her meat.” The word meat in this case was translated from the Greek word phago, which translated correctly simply means to eat.

In I Corinthians (8.8 ) it states: “But meat commendeth us not to God, for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither if we eat not, are we the worse.” The word for meat here is broma, which actually means food. Therefore, this verse signifies that eating or not eating food has little to do with our relationship to God and not, as some people think, that eating meat holds no wrong.

In Romans (14.20-21 ) the verses are: “For meat destroy not the word of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.” The word for meat here is broma, which actually means foods, and the word for flesh is kreas, which does mean flesh. Therefore, this verse makes it clear that flesh eating is unacceptable.

If the Bible explains that eating meat is wrong, then what is the proper thing to eat? Genesis (1.29 ) clearly states: “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” This makes it quite obvious that the food for human beings is herbs, seeds, grains, and fruits.

We also find in Isaiah (7.14-15 ): “Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.” The first verse is often quoted by Christians for proof that Jesus was the savior, but the next verse shows that he will be a vegetarian to know the difference between right and wrong.

I was wondering if and when someone would bring this up. This is an excellent point to make. Christians who read the bible word for word without understanding that it was supposed to be written so long ago and could be mistranslated will find themselves lost in what it was intending to say. The overbearing Christians (I am not trying to offend anyone–I don’t mean all Christians–I just mean the ones who think that you are going to hell for sneezing) constantly will try to shove down my throat that “Jesus ate meat.”

:smiley: I love the Isiah quote :smiley:

Hmm, what would Jesus have eaten? I don’t think Jesus would have eaten much meat: he was Jewish, so no pork, goat, shellfish, etc. I don’t think Palestine is much of a dairy area, so little beef or milk. He might have had a little mutton once in a while, since they do have sheep. Mind you, he seems keen on fish, and there would be chickens over there. Maybe Jesus was a white-meat veggie?!

Middle eastern cookery is lush, and really lends itself to being vegetarian. Next time someone tells you Jesus would have eaten meat, make them eat flatbreads with olives and roasted tomatoes/eggplant, hummous and stuffed vine leaves :smiley:

Reading that part of your post just made me so hungry :astonished:! You made an excellent point, though :slight_smile: .

Meat-eating is a sign of spiritual ignorance and tends to keep one from developing compassion and mercy towards our fellow living entities. To be merciful only to man and yet be an enemy to animals by killing and eating them is Satan’s philosophy. One will never live in true harmony with God while performing such activities. This is often overlooked by the Christians, Muslims, and others.

:slight_smile:

Which one? :wink:

The one at the top, but the others are good too :smiley:

Hm… interesting thread… I would really like to see the bible in original with a dictionary and see for myself that the translation indeed is inaccurate.

Wait a sec… what was the orginal language in which the bible was writen?

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the New mostly in Greek.

Genesis 1:29 is the actual verse that made me decide to go vegan.

And I don’t know where people get off saying animals don’t have souls - I’ve never read a Bible verse that says that, but there are plenty that support veganism.