Why the veggie burger tastes just as good as a non-veg one

Meat eaters live a lie

While a big, juicy steak may indeed be culinary nirvana for many, your taste for beef could be based in part on expectation rather than reality.
On the assumption that meat is associated with social power in some peoples’ minds, researchers rated study participants on what they call a Social Power Value Endorsement measure, to determine their preferences for meat and their cultural perceptions of it. Participants were then told they would taste either a beef sausage roll or a vegetarian roll. You can guess where this is headed.

Of course the researchers used one of the oldest tricks in the social scientist’s toolbox: They lied.

Some participants got what they were told was coming, and others unknowingly ate the other type of roll. Then they all filled out questionnaires about how they like the food.

“Participants who ate the vegetarian alternative did not rate the taste and aroma less favorably than those who ate the beef product,” the researchers report in August issue of the Journal of Consumer Research. “Instead, what influenced taste evaluation was what they thought they had eaten and whether that food symbolized values that they personally supported.”

The study was done by Michael W. Allen at the University of Sydney, Richa Gupta from the University of Nashville, and Arnaud Monnier of the National Engineer School for Food Industries and Management, France. A second test done with a popular, status-heavy soft drink and a dime-store brand yielded similar results.

Other studies have found such perceptual biases in our taste buds. The color of orange juice, for example, influences what people say they taste, scientists found last year.

In a classic example of how we deceive ourselves, a study in 2004 found people preferred Coke and Pepsi in equal numbers in blind taste tests. But when told that one of the cups they were drinking was Coke, these same people picked Coke as the more tasty one about 75 percent of the time — even though both cups in this round contained Coke.

Hehe Lol! :slight_smile:
Nice article!

I had heard about the use of dyes in food. Did you know that much of the red meat for sale in the Supermarket has been dyed red?

Fun fact of the day! Didn’t know that… :albino:

That might be the reason why they look fresh… hahaha

This article proves that eating veggies is as great as eating meat… Why don’t you try it carnivore? hehehe

nice article. i think it is so fascinating how our minds effect us in ways that we dont even know. i read a book that said something interesting recently along the lines of taste preference. the author made the point that most people feel the need to flavor their meat. they do not like to just eat it plain. and what do we flavor it with? plant products! ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, fruity marinades, chutney, relish etc. we put so much of them on that they cover up the flavor of the meat half the time anyway. of course today we also load them full of sugar and high-fructose corn syrup which people seem not to be able to resist. i just thought it was an interesting point