Vegans and B12 Deficiency

There has been a growth in veganism in the past decade. Yet, there are people who switch back to non-vegan diet just because they feel that they are facing deficiencies in their body due to vegan diet.

This is the basic debate with which people start with while answering why are they not going vegan. There are number of vegans around the world who feel more healthier after shifting from meat-based diet to vegan one. This is because they follow the correct diets and patterns.

If someone debates on the same topic, you can ask them to refer this article (https://www.vegansfirst.com/vegans-vitamin-b12-without-supplements/) which clearly states how well vegans can maintain vitamin B12 in their diet and won’t need to eat innocent animals for it.

Let me know all of your thoughts on it.

The information on the article is ok since it is taken from various sources. But the quality of the article is bad. It seems that the writer took the article from another website and then replaced some words with synonyms that are not even suitable.

The flaxmilk I buy “Good Karma” brand is fortified with b12…

Also B12 isn’t natural in meats. It’s formed in the colon of animals… by the bacteria… it’s in the poop and the soil therafter…

People used to get the trace amounts of b12 needed by ingesting dirt. I don’t mean directly… I mean things were just dirtier back then.

We actually do form b12 in our bodies but it’s too far down the tract for absorption.

It’s not an appealing thing to try and sell to people… but it’s totally natural for human beings to eat dirt… not just on it’s own… but dirty tables, dirty hands, dirty bowls.

I don’t really fret over it… as the flaxmilk is loaded with plenty of b12 so I just use that as my go to drink… a glass a day at least.

Otherwise though… when I am cooking… if the brussel sprout, or the carrot, or the potato… or whatever else it may be… if it’s a bit dirty I let it pass. Cooking food kills the living bacteria… just get that cobalamin… (the COBALt vitATIM)

1 Like

It’s not only that but with all the antibiotics and processed foods, and chlorinated water our gut flora is less diverse.

Even if the B12 formed by bacteria in the colon bellow ileum is not actively absorbed it is still absorbed via diffusion.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.3181/00379727-123-31527

Also humans used to drink natural water from ponds which also had bacteria, dirt and some levels of B12.

Yeah, there is no need to fear a bit of dirt.

Thanks for the info… that makes a lot of sense that riding natural osmosis there would be some exchange of bacterium/materials in the guttural tract.