We are looking for a long-term caretaker (couple preferred) for our small organic farm and homestead on 40 acres in Belize, Central America. We are immersed in pristine nature with pure air and clear natural spring water. We have a simple, off-grid lifestyle with the intention of near self-sufficiency over time. We need to return to the USA for extended periods of time to care for our elderly mother.
Please note: This is a work exchange position. This is not a paid salary position. We provide a small monthly stipend towards food and immigration fees.
About 2-3 hours of work per day including:
- Mowing / Weed eating / chopping / maintaining grounds (We have a 2 acre fenced and cleared area for the cabins and orchard. Most work is within this area.)
- Orchard tree care - fertilizing / mulching / watering during dry season
- Maintenance of solar power and water systems (minimal)
- General maintenance of buildings
- Care of three dogs
- Accommodations in one of our cabins
- A small monthly stipend towards food and immigration fees
- Organic fruit from the orchard (bananas are bearing now, next year many trees will begin producing)
- Internet access (bring your own computer)
- Use of our work truck when we are gone
- Immersion in pristine tropical nature with pure air and water
Most of your time can be spent relaxing and pursuing your own interests such as writing, internet business, etc. This is an excellent opportunity for those on a contemplative spiritual path.
You can grow your own vegetables if desired. We have raised beds ready for planting.
Enjoy privacy and the whole place when we are gone, which may be up to 4-6 months a year. When we are here, you can stay or use the opportunity to get away to travel, visit family, etc.
The Caretaker We Seek
- Able to make at least a 6 month commitment (we prefer a year, or longer)
- Internally strong, balanced, gentle person
- High integrity
- Independent and self-reliant…can both follow directions and make sound decisions
- Good work ethic
- Quiet type who loves solitude, as the property is remote
- Very fit and healthy (you need to be tough and hardy for this lifestyle)
- A natural health enthusiast with a high fruit/vegetarian diet
- Avid dog lover (you enjoy dogs living indoors with you)
- Loves and respects nature
- Gardening experience
- Good basic handyman skills in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc.
- Can handle hot/humid climate (spring and summer)
Prefer Experience In:
- Permaculture / organic farming
- Living in a third world country
- Off-grid living, solar power, spring water systems
- Caretaking property and pets