Ingredients Peanut or Sunflower oil (for roasting vegetables)
5 cloves garlic whole
2 large onions peeled and cut in half
1 small sweet potato cut in medium pieces
1 Kg pumpkin cut in medium pieces
500 gm potatoes scrubbed and cut in medium pieces
1 can coconut cream
1 litre vegetable stock *
Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions 1) Place pumpkin, sweet potato, potato and sufficient oil to lightly roast in a baking disk and bake for 15 mins in a moderate oven.
2) Add onion and garlic and bake for a further 15 minutes �&qt; allow to cool a little before pureeing.
3) Using small quantities of the stock place a few pieces of the baked vegetables in a blender at a time and blend until smooth.
4) Place blended vegetables in a large saucepan.
5) When all the vegetables have been blended add the coconut cream and salt and pepper to taste, bring to the boil and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes
6) Serve hot with crusty bread.
NOTE: This is a great recipe for getting rid of fridge scraps. Any cooked vegetables or casserole remains can be added at the blending stage for interesting taste experiences �&qt; I’ve even added leftover vegetarian roast and it was delicious. The vegetables can be steamed or boiled if low fat is a consideration but the flavour achieved with roasting is so yummy it’s definitely worth trying.
- I save the water from boiling and steaming vegetables for this purpose. It adds another interesting flavour.