Raw meat Diet for pets

First I apologies if this is posted in the wrong place wasn’t sure were it would be best placed.
I Have been vegan now for 6 years and very proud to be such. I study nutrition as a passion and as such I value the knowledge of knowing the power of raw food. That said, I have for the last year or so been back and forth over whether too feed my dogs a raw diet, they have been feed a vegan diet for the most part over those years. I started seeing their health fall in ways they shouldn’t such as, teeth, bloat, and fatty lumps. Two of my dogs who have been eating vegan the longest have both had to have many teeth pulled one dog getting two dental visits. So for over a year now I have struggled with what to feed my dogs. I remind you I am a vegan for the animals first and foremost and that will never change. When I became vegan I made a conscience choice to become vegan, my dog were never given that choice I made it for them. Yes I researched the diet and what best to feed them, spent high prices on importing quality vegan pet foods. Yes my dogs are surviving fine on a vegan diet, but the question I have now is are they thriving? So I began researching a raw food diet for dogs years ago but put off feeding raw for years due to my ethical stance. But ultimately there are a few facts I can no long avoid. 1. dogs are carnivores. this fact is based on the animals anatomy, not based on behaviour. 2. They are trusting me with there lives, my ideals or my choices affect their lives both good and bad. and 3. I understand nutrition and how the body uses it and the best way for the bodies to get what they need. Also I know that up until 100 years ago kibble did not exist and all dog up to that point live on raw diets. Kibble is nothing more that burnt dried up food be it vegan for meat based, kibble cause many health problems. I have now started feeding my dogs on a raw meat diet with veg thrown in as my dogs do love kale. Yes making this decision has been one of the hardest I have ever had to make, I will not lie I feel like a hypocrite, but at the same time I feel I am doing what’s best for my beloved family members. The choice I have made for my dogs conflicts with every part of me that will never change. But this is where I am at, I am sure some vegans will call me many things, they are not in my shoes, I will still fight for animal rights, I will still stand up to animals abusers and first and foremost I will protect my family. I would love to hear you thoughts as this choice has been a very difficult one for me and my family to make.

You know, animals and especially dogs are really sensitive when it comes to food. Their skin doesn’t produce vitamin D and they totally need it. so you need to manage providing vitamin D2 and in some cases D3.
Among other issues are:
Inadequate total protein intake (less than the 25 grams per 1,000 calories recommended)
Imbalance of the certain amino acids, such as taurine and L-carnitine (dogs and cats) or essential fatty acids arachidonic acid (cats only), in particular
Deficiency in vitamins and minerals (such as B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and iron) that are obtained ideally, or only, through meat or other animal products

Unfortunately they are not human and it’s good to make the choice of being a vegan and keeping it, but maybe it’s not a good idea for dogs. They don’t really understand the belief underlaying our approach.

Wow I never thought about this, well I don’t have any pet. It’s a really interesting question. In my opinion you did a good choice. If I were you I would do the same. Dogs are carnivore, you can’t pretend to be vegan. For example there are people who (i don’t know why) love to humanize dogs, with clothes, shoes, and more silly stuff. Animals and dogs are beautiful as is, they don’t need to change, in the same way with nutrition, they eat meat, is not fair for them to force them to live a vegan life.

This was a very interesting question, it’s a little bit contradictory.

I find this lack of details not useful. no vet organisation in the world recommends a raw flesh diet for either cats or dogs…fact. they in fact recommend strongly against them. lack of details of what was causing any dental etc problems in the dogs mentioned is not helpful. vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html plenty links to “details” here.

Besides that this is totally against the vegan principle that animals are not ours to do as we please with them…whose right is it to take a life ? those animals killed by humans bred by humans have no choice whatsoever. it is pure animal abuse of the highest level. Minimal harm is another fundamental principle of veganism…so how does the taking of thousands of animal lives justified for 1 dog ? it cannot be justified.

Dogs are not members of a human family. They are a different species. One needs to take a look in the mirror to understand that simple fact.

There is nothing magical in flesh that is not found in plants. Flesh is simply processed plants. Whatever issues with digestion individuals may have can be identified and dealt with.

My cat like many others is vegan. So to talk of sensitive to vegan diets animals that is proof enough that the right nutrition is all an animal needs to thrive.