Plants are no different than Animals

This topic seems to have a small cute funny conversation…

Is anyone becoming emo?

Will it be called suicide if someone will be helping?

Plants have cell walls. (see thru the lines)

You have a point there signlink :wink:

There is nothing wrong with eating plants because humans wouldn’t survive otherwise. There is no proof that they feel pain. Do plants form scabs because they want to? What about humans? Do they recover from injuries because they DECIDE to or because their body is designed in that way? Some people don’t feel pain because of their genetics, but does that directly influence recovery processes? It doesn’t seem like that to me.

If vegans will also stop eating plants because of environmental concern, then what will vegans eat for living?

I would argue that plants are clearly different from animals.

At the same time, we share obvious similarities. We are both alive. We both endeavor to survive, thrive, and reproduce. We both respond to stimuli in our environments. We happen to share many of the same compounds in our bodies. To say we are “different” or “no different” depends on where you choose to draw the line.

Let’s turn those questions around.

How do you know plants don’t have feelings? The first question you may want to ask is “Can I communicate with plants?” Can anyone? Not well, I imagine.

It’s worth pointing out that we can’t communicate effectively at all with many animals (like invertebrates and fish), yet many people will still try to afford some courtesy to them. Most considerate people I know wouldn’t even swat a fly without a good reason. Or cut down a tree. Or pull up a flower bed.

As for plants not running away, well, do plants jump into your mouth? Do they chew themselves?

Plants do move, by the way. Most don’t move very much. Only enough to reach sunlight or water and so slowly that many people wouldn’t realize it unless you were paying attention. Instead of rapid movement, most plants have evolved toxins, poisons, barbs, tough skin, and other passive defenses to avoid or limit predation (gee, sounds like another Kingdom I know!). In turn, animals have evolved processes to neutralize toxins or safely bypass these defenses. Like a tough beak to break a shell. Or a stone mill to grind a seed (that’s us, by the way).

Fruit seeds are actually quite digestible after you grind them up. Toxins and all.

Not a fair comparison, actually. Sperm is one thing. So is an unfertilized egg. Separately, neither of these can reproduce life (not as many of us are familiar with it, anyway). Seeds are closer to fertilized eggs. They contain everything necessary to begin growing into a new plant.

In animal terms, grinding up something like, say, a staff of wheat is a lot like murdering the mom with her baby. Food for thought.

Lack of understanding does not equate to justification for eating plant matter.
Until we can say with 100% certainty that plants cannot feel pain (i.e: never) vegans cannot justifiably take the moral high ground.
Even if plants can’t feel pain, like the poster above me said, they sure as heck don’t want to be eaten (most of the time at least, some plants reproduce in very interesting ways!) so how can you say it’s different enough from eating animals to justify.

But, can I get the same proteins my body needs without eating meat products?

Sure, I mean if you wanted you could take pills all day and cut out the eating aspect all together!

I applaud your attempt at impersonating a “guilty vegan”. Lolz all around!

Yes you can. Most people in Europe and the States eat way too much protein. Too much protein contributes to kidney failure and osteoporosis.

Actually, even if plants feel pain, it is STILL preferable to eat a vegan diet of only plants. If you are really concerned about causing less harm than you would consider that for every pound of cow protein produced, at least 16 pound of vegetable protein is needed. So you are causing 16 times as much suffering by eating meat.

I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots, but that’s just me.

There really is no sound argument for meat eating. You can try and try, but every argument in the book that meat eaters have ends up being illogical.

Philosopher, your above post proves your specism.
“I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots”

Please try and be less hypocritical in the future.

Sound argument for meat eating: I can and I like it.
Now you could do what you usually do and say: " You can also murder kittens or be a nazi", but I don’t like that, so I don’t.
Ouch, that logic may sting.

PS: I’m referring to another post you made in a different thread.

adam please go spew your :unamused: semi-illiterate nonsense :unamused: somewhere else, you don’t belong here.

Nice name calling, really showing the maturity there, I’m guessing that means you forfeit the argument to me then?

As for me not belonging here, I think you’re just upset because your poorly chosen lifestyle is being questioned by someone and you can’t defend yourself argumentatively. If you can’t deal with that then I don’t think you belong on any public forum.

Please Adam, provide me with your solid reasoning for eating meat. I love a challenge. I don’t consider “I can and I like it.” to be a good reason. It’s a reason, not a good one.

I don’t believe that saying humans are worth more than carrots makes me a speceist. Please tell me why I’m wrong.

Haha, so now you get to change the question, typical.

This is an exercise in futility, your concept of ‘good’ could be completely different to mine so there is very little point in me even trying.

But for the sake of meat worldwide:
Meat is a social acceptable and readily available source of essential nutrients which, although available elsewhere are still found in meat so it comes down to personal preference.

Meat eating is accepted and used widely in larger society so as to not inconvenience any of my friends cooking for me or any staff at various eateries I am happy eating meat.

I don’t feel that the meat industry is deserving of all the hating even after watching the numerous vegan videos on this site so why NOT eat meat in my case?

By not eating meat and becoming a vegetarian or vegan I implicitly support eco-terrorist groups like PETA.

To begin with the next part of your post, let’s define species.

Species: A taxonomic division that generally refers to a group of animals or plants which are similar in structure and descent and are able to breed among themselves.

Carrots fall under this definition ergo when you say “I also consider humans to be worth more than carrots” you are being speceist.
Not only that but you are being hypocritical considering that you were calling me a speceiest a short time ago.

DNA

Meat is a decent source of few nutrients, and an expensive one. There are many many downsides of meat; environmental impact, health issues, cost, cruelty to animals in slaughtering and raising, etc. Vegetables won’t give you heart attacks, are more environmentally friendly, and cause much less suffering than meat.

Most vegans and vegetarians I know enjoy making their own food. If they go over to a friends house for dinner they bring something, as to not “inconvenience” the host. I am more concerned about inconveniencing hundreds of farmed animals per year by eating them.

“Most vegans and vegetarians I know enjoy making their own food. If they go over to a friends house for dinner they bring something, as to not “inconvenience” the host. I am more concerned about inconveniencing hundreds of farmed animals per year by eating them.”

So your beliefs are more important than those of others?

That’s practically what you’re saying when you melt it down.