Pernicious Anemia

:cussing:

I understand that there is b12 in fermented foods, such as sauerkraut , miso, and perhaps tempeh?

I do take a high potency b12 pill weekly.

Also, some nutritional yeasts, if not all, contain this nutrient by default.

I am a vitamin b12 supplement dependent… My doctor says that I have poor supply of vitamin b12 as well…

:angryfire: .

they say that vitamin b12 can also be found from these:

Fortified Cereals
A wide array of cereals now exist with the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin B12 added in. Vegans can eat the cereal with soy, rice, or almond milk.

Fortified Soy Products
Most vegans consume soy both as a dairy substitute, and as a source of protein. Many soy products now come fortified with vitamin B12. Check the nutrition facts of the product to be sure.

Fortified Drinks
As more and more people are becoming vegan companies are seeing the benefit of fortifying drinks with vitamin B12. Drinks like Vitamin Water provide a health alternative to soft drinks.

Yeast extract Spreads (Marmite)
Yeast extract spreads are popular in Britain and Europe, and have started to gain popularity in the U.S.

All of them are fortified… Hope this will somehow help you…

But they say that algae and seaweeds are good sources of vitamin b12.

There is no B12 in almonds.
take a look here: food.vegtalk.org/products/nuts_almonds.html

B12 is synthesized by bacteria. There is no b12 in any plants. Only in some mushrooms in very small quantity and I am not sure if it is the active b12. It theoretically can be on plants but if you wash them it is gone.
Pernicious anemia can be avoided if you consume a lot of Folic Acid which is plenty in vegan food.
But your nerves will suffer from b12 deficiency anyway if you don’t take supplements.

:pottytrain5:

According to “The Condensed Encyclopedia of Healing Foods”, there is some evidence, as well, that the form of vitamin B12, that is found in fermented foods like miso and tempeh, is not the type that our bodies need to keep us healthy.