Nuts Basics

Whether they’re whole, chopped, or ground, nuts add nutrition and flavor to meals and dishes. Their high oil content, however, negates some of the benefits of their high protein content.

Nut varieties include almond, brazil, cashew, chestnut, coconut, hazelnut (or filbert), macadamia, peanut, pecan, pine (or pignoli), pistachio, and walnut, both black and English. Most varieties can be bought whole, chopped, or ground; salted or unsalted; roasted or spiced. Generally, whole, unshelled nuts are the least expensive.

Most unshelled nuts will keep at room temperature for up to six months, but shelled nuts should be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer to keep them from becoming rancid. Throw out any that have mold.

* To remove thin skins, place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated 350-degree oven until the skins begin to flake off. This will vary with the variety. Nuts can easily burn, so watch them closely. Remove them from the oven, wrap them in a heavy towel, and rub them against the towel to remove as much of the skins as possible.

* To grind nuts, use a nut grater or grinder and grind only a few nuts at a time to prevent them from becoming oily.

* To toast nuts, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 350-degree oven until very lightly browned. Watch them closely. Depending on the variety, this should take from 3 to 10 minutes. Use them immediately or store them in a covered container in the refrigerator.

Thanks for this explanatory directory on nuts everybody who contributed.

I would just like to post one health note here. Nuts are great and nutritious. However too much consumption of them can lead a person into lack of omega 3.
As nuts are full of omega 6 which is also important nutrient, too much nut consumption will fight with omega 3 in your body.
One needs balance for optimal health.

Therefore not exaggerating nuts+ eating more greens as they help nuts to absorb healthy substances would do better. Seeds are good alternative as they are not so dense food as nuts.

I love almond nuts. I prefer most of my food raw vegan. With true nuts (cashews for example are really not nuts) I soak them for a period of time – they really become plump and delicious.
The theory is that living seeds and nuts wait for rain or water to be present before coming to life and sprouting. They have enzyme inhibitors in them that deactivate as such when they are exposed to water for a sufficient period of time.