So I’ve been trying to go through some recipes I could use to make my sister an extra special birthday treat, but the trouble is that she’s very vegan and I am very not! ;D
I’ve found a recipe that, in theory, sounds delicious and like she’d love it, but it’s not vegan in its ingredients: Strawberry and Cardamom cupcakes (off of Chow’s website).
I was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions about how to convert these cupcakes into vegan ones while still supporting/not overpowering the strawberry and cardamom flavors. So I guess, really, I’m just asking how to make vegan cupcakes…? I think…? (Also, the strawberry flavor deriving from strawberry cream cheese seems to be one of the stronger issues regarding conversion )
The recipe is as follows:
* 2 cups cake flour * 2 teaspoons baking powder * 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom * 1/2 teaspoon fine salt * 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature * 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar * 2 large egg whites, at room temperature * 2 large eggs, at room temperature * 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract * 3/4 cup Chunky Strawberry Sauce * Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line 2 (12-well) muffin pans with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light in color, about 3 minutes. Add sugar and continue beating until mixture is light in color and airy, about 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and the sides of the bowl. On medium speed, add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- On low speed, slowly add milk and vanilla and mix until combined (the mixture will look curdled). Add reserved flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 15 seconds.
- Fill each muffin well about three-quarters full. Using a spoon, create a small indentation in the batter by slightly spreading it from the middle out toward the edges. Measure 1 heaping teaspoon of the strawberry sauce and place the back of the teaspoon inside the indentation. Rotate the spoon, letting the sauce slide into the indentation. Repeat in each well.
- Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes. Set the pans on wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pans and let cool completely on the wire racks before frosting.
Thank you for reading/helping!!