Non-Vegan trying to bake for a Vegan! help!

Hello everyone,

So I’ve been trying to go through some recipes I could use to make my sister an extra special birthday treat, but the trouble is that she’s very vegan and I am very not! ;D

I’ve found a recipe that, in theory, sounds delicious and like she’d love it, but it’s not vegan in its ingredients: Strawberry and Cardamom cupcakes (off of Chow’s website).

I was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions about how to convert these cupcakes into vegan ones while still supporting/not overpowering the strawberry and cardamom flavors. So I guess, really, I’m just asking how to make vegan cupcakes…? I think…? (Also, the strawberry flavor deriving from strawberry cream cheese seems to be one of the stronger issues regarding conversion :confused: )

The recipe is as follows:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups cake flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
* 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
* 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
* 2 large eggs, at room temperature
* 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3/4 cup Chunky Strawberry Sauce
* Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line 2 (12-well) muffin pans with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
  2. Place flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
  3. Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light in color, about 3 minutes. Add sugar and continue beating until mixture is light in color and airy, about 3 minutes.
  4. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and the sides of the bowl. On medium speed, add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  5. On low speed, slowly add milk and vanilla and mix until combined (the mixture will look curdled). Add reserved flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 15 seconds.
  6. Fill each muffin well about three-quarters full. Using a spoon, create a small indentation in the batter by slightly spreading it from the middle out toward the edges. Measure 1 heaping teaspoon of the strawberry sauce and place the back of the teaspoon inside the indentation. Rotate the spoon, letting the sauce slide into the indentation. Repeat in each well.
  7. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes. Set the pans on wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pans and let cool completely on the wire racks before frosting.

Thank you for reading/helping!!

The Strawberry cream cheese frosting should be the easiest to convert. Just buy some vegan cream cheese and make your own.

If you want to veganise it you are better of searching for a vegan cupcake recipe and then adapting that rather than working backwards. Eg, this recipe is just on google:

Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes:
Ingredients to make around 12 medium sized cupcakes
All purpose flour/Maida: 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Strawberry puree: 1 1/2 cups(I washed around 12 to 15 strawberries, cut into two pieces and pureed in a mixer.)
Canola oil: 1/3 cup(I used sunflower refined oil)
Granulated sugar: 2/3 cup(I added around 1/2 cup more as the strawberries were a bit tart)
Vanilla extract/essence: 1 tsp
Procedure

1. Pre heat the oven to 170 degree C and place paper liners in the muffin tin or grease the tin with oil.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt and keep aside.
  3. In another large bowl, beat together the puree, oil, sugar and vainlla until well mixed.(I did this with electric mixer)
  4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until the batter is smooth.(Do not over mix)
  5. Pour a ladleful of batter into the muffin tin.
  6. Place the tin in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

I would recommend just adding some cardamom to it to get the flavour combo you want and then use vegan cream cheese and fresh strawberries to make the icing. Sounds really delicious :wink:

Hi Friend, Thank you for sharing that one recipe with us of the members of the forum, I like to have cream recipe’s so much and wanna eat it regularly. :slight_smile: Thanks again for sharing. :cheers: Keep sharing more with us. :bounce: