I’ve been a vegetarian for about six years but recently decided to go vegan. I’m trying to buy items without any animal byproducts but I am not sure what I should look for specifically. Can anyone give me any tips when shopping for cruelty-free make-up/hair-care products? What ingredients should I avoid? Thanks for your help!
Look for products that clearly state 100% vegan on the label, that way you’ll know there are no animal byproducts. I also look for products that are free of parabens, propylene glycol and sulfates. My favorite brand that I trust the most (bought in a salon) is Malibu C. I use both their hair and skin care products…and they do what they claim to do. Best products I’ve ever used!
Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol – This stuff is used in making products such as oven cleaner and antifreeze… and also in hair products because the polyethylene can be used as a thickening agent and the propylene can quickly penetrate the skin or hair shaft. Basically these are toxic substances. Avoid.
Avoid products that have:
- SLS/SLES (sodium lauryl sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate),ALS/ALES (ammonium lauryl sulfate/ammonium laureth sulfate) - those are surfactants that are usually found in soaps, shampoos & conditioners and in toiler cleaners. They are known skin and eye irritants.
- synthetic parfum & phthalates, they are fragrances that damages liver and reproductive organs
- triclosan, commonly found in anti-bacterial product like sanitizers, disinfectants & soaps. It was proved triggers endocrinal and reproductive malfunctions
- DEA (diethanolamine), it is an emulsifiers and it is know to affects hormones
- propylene glycol, a solvent. It damages liver and kidney
- parabens, BHA/BHT, DMDM hydantoin phenoxyethanol, TEA (triethanolamine) used as preservatives and may cause cancer & tumors. weakens immune system, allergenic & irritant, speeds up skin ageing.
- mineral oil, dimethicone, petrolatum & paraffin, commonly used in moisturizers, it coats skin like plastic & clog pores, slows down skin function & cell development and speeds up ageing.
- lake dyes, FD&C colors, carmine (a natural colorant in lipsticks but made from crushed cochineal insects), they are colorants and was found to be neurotoxic and possible carcinogen
- deet, is a bug repellant active which promotes degenerative diseases and congenital diseases.
Make sure to read the label of every product that you buy and look up on them to know what does it do to our body.
Taking Care of Your Skin Care With Natural Ingredients.
Check It Out Here:
Thanks for the info Misha!!!
Look for the leaping bunny logo…
Any consemetics, hair products, etc. that do not test finished products, ingredients or formulations on animals will generally have the leaping bunny logo on the packaging.