I am vegan because I am Christian.

Those who state that Christ ate meat - the Bible does not state that Jesus ate the lamb or Jesus ate the fish. If you read carefully, all words being precise (read the original Hebrew and Greek) you will find that although it’s inferred Jesus is helping fishermen catch fish, Christ Himself does not eat them. I don’t believe in filling in the gaps so that my feeble mind better understands G-d. Example: We assume what is not written because of other ‘proven’ things we find in so called history. What I do know, is that G-d is particular about his Word and the meaning and only those who have eyes and ears and His heart can understand. I believe the Bible is the inner process of what happens to each of us when it is our time. I will not take a position in it’s literal sense (by the worlds definition of literal) or historical. These to me do not matter. The Word was before the foundation of the world and it’s ALWAYS been true and always will be. This is where faith fills in gaps - where we lack understanding, not where things seem logical. There is a huge difference - faith being by His Spirit while logic being by our very limited minds, which the Bible states is the darkness and can never comprehend the light.

yes, one should arrive at veganism independent of religious dogma and pagan voodoo rituals.

skepticsannotatedbible.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5hA3PN0uic

Eating meat IS a sin. The truth is that Jesus didn’t eat meat, though many think he did. Many Biblical scholars believe Jesus was a member of the Nazarene Essenes, a Jewish religious sect that followed a vegetarian diet and rejected animal sacrifices. If you are a Christian, then you would be happy to know that there are lots of quotes in the Bible that support vegetarianism, but saying that you are a vegetarian because you are a Christian is ridiculous.
Lots of quotes in the Bible say that God likes animal sacrifice. Lots of quotes in the Bible makes no sense. Lots of things in the Bible are so cruel that I can’t even imagine who on earth wrote such things and laws.
Matthew 23:9 says that we should not call anyone “Father”. So, what do you call your church Padres? What do you call your dad?

Whoever calls his brother a worthless fool will be in danger of going to the fire of hell. (said by Jesus)
Matthew 5:22
Blind fools! (said by Jesus)
Matthew 23:17

I don’t think Jesus would contradict himself.

Fools! (said by Jesus)
Luke 11:40
You foolish Galatians! (said by St. Paul)
Galatians 3:1

I can’t even imagine Jesus Christ, someone who taught about kindness and compassion, scolding someone by calling names.

There are lots of self-contradictions in the Bible.
Deuteronomy 5:17 says- Do not commit murder.
But…
Deuteronomy 13:9 says- Kill him.

Which one should we obey?
I don’t see any logic nor any meaning. If you read the Bible carefully, you will find hundreds of such sentences that make no sense.

I don’t think the sin is in eating meat. I think the sin would be the process in which we obtain our meat. In a perfect world a cow would grow up on a cared for farm with plenty of healthy things to eat and be put to death humanely. Being grateful to the animal and to God for the gift it provided us. In our world, most animals are transported to slaughter in awful conditions, many arriving sick and are tortured before slaughter and when we have eaten our fill of their bodies, we just throw the rest of the way, to me, that’s the part that’s a sin.

Such foolish talk. It seems you have no knowledge of what is sin and what is not.
Killing is always cruel. It does not matter how it is done.
If the animal is killed in a brutal way, the butcher will receive a greater sin. That is correct.
But the sin the eater of the animal will receive has got nothing to do with how the animal was killed.
Even if the animal was killed humanely, he will receive the same amount of sin. Even if the animal was killed brutally, he will receive the same amount of sin. Because he is eating it. Killing is completely in the hands of the butcher.
The Hindu Scriptures strongly support that killing animals is a great sin, and people who do will be punished after or before death.
All the scriptures support vegetarianism, not because slaughterhouses are cruel, but because we are not supposed to kill animals to eat them.

Me Too! I just created a website to help educate other Christians who don’t understand why I am vegan (including health devotionals).
Google tashalee.org and you should find it and/or my facebook page.
i hope it can be helpful to you and those you know, and please let me know if you have any suggestions of content to edit/add…

Today’s blog post from my tashalee.org (search for that and you should find it) health blog…hope you come visit! love, Tash

Raw Vegan Christian
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. ~2 Corinthians 9:7

Early in my transition to a plant-based raw food diet, the majority of my struggles were emotional. I frequently had feelings of self-pity that God was calling me to eat this way. I often felt jealous of other Christians that felt no conviction regarding healthy eating. I had deep feelings of loneliness because such a major life transition was very difficult, and I desperately wanted to have other Christian journeying companions–yet to be a “raw vegan Christian” at the time, even on the internet, seemed almost unheard of–much less, a high-fruit/low-fat raw vegan Christian.

I recall one year that was extremely difficult. We were a part of a wonderful house church. We loved the teaching and the members. At the beginning of our involvement, a meal was served beforehand, ended quickly, and teaching began. I focused on loving others and engaging in conversation, and before I knew it, it was time for “content time”. As the year progressed, however, the meal became longer and longer, and it became increasingly difficult for me to deal with, emotionally. Although I stayed true to my convictions at house church, the following days I had severe struggles with self-pity and loneliness. When we moved, we were sad to leave our wonderful house church…yet for me, it was a HUGE relief.

God gave me a wonderful gift in our move. Not only was my hubby very supportive of my eating convictions (he was quite impressed with the changes in my health) and had become a vegan himself, but God gave me a Christian friend who lived in my area and was also a high-fruit/low-fat raw vegan. It blessed me beyond belief to be at Christian fellowships with someone who also refrained from eating the food that was being served. It was an indescribable gift and treasure for me. Through the long, difficult year, God had really grown me in learning to walk with Him in those “alone” times and get my eyes on Him and His suffering when I am feeling self-pity. But now, He had led me into a time of refreshing fellowship. I was grateful for the growth through the hard time, but…no doubt, I was sooo happy to be in a new season! :slight_smile:

God eventually led my friend to a slightly different style of eating, which was definitely sad for me, but by this time I was feeling much more comfortable with the diet God had called me to. My hubby was very supportive, and the sad feelings passed before long. I felt happy in following God…which brings me to today.

Last month, following the advice of some long-time low-fat raw vegans, on my trip to visit family & friends in my home state, I gave myself the freedom to not be perfect with my eating. It was incredibly liberating to not feel like a “bad person” because I ate some non-optimal foods (that in the past, I may have considered reasonably healthy options). I was able to feel and see the HUGE difference in how I feel, look, serve, and function when I am eating low-fat raw vegan vs. a more traditional diet. I could not deny the huge increase in insulin I needed, the lethargic and depressed feelings in my body and mind, the poor digestion, bloating, gas, snoring, odors, and–the brain fog. Wow. I felt BAD, physically, that whole month. Before eating low-fat raw vegan, I never realized that I was feeling bad…now that I have felt incredible, light, energetic, alert, sensitive, focused, and happy–I know that I want to follow God in this because I like who I am when I am who He created me to be. I have so much more to give to the world when I am “my best self”–eating optimally for optimal living.

This year, God has really helped me to deal with my issues of pride and judgment. He has really humbled me and reminded me that transitioning is HARD–physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He has reminded me that the circumstances that led to my education about eating raw foods for healing…well, it was certainly atypical. Of my own accord, I would not have sought education about eating for health. My history was anything BUT healthy eating, and I fought against anyone who had anything critical to say about my food choices.

Just one more reminder that ANYTHING good in me is from God, not from me. Being a raw vegan Christian was not my idea; it was God’s. But I am soooooooooo glad He had this idea. His ways and thoughts are higher than mine. It has been such a growing process and I am sure it will continue to be. I am no longer fighting God on this one. It is a true gift to honor God and offer Him my best as make each food choice for His glory, each day.

God, my thanks are beyond words. What an incredible privilege and journey, by Your plan, to watch this body heal and respond to foods that nourish, or go downhill from foods that destroy. Forgive me for my rebellion, self-pity, jealousy, short-sightedness, and stubbornness. Thank You for Your grace and patience with me, Your child. May this life glorify You and bring You pleasure.

Religion has a lot to do with morality and personal opinions. I wonder "how would Jesus do this meat eating thing " or “What would Jesus do”? I wouldn’t know a whole lot, but I can bet that I know a bit. For the rest I’ll just have to be open-minded. :wink:

O.K Let me add some gasoline on the fire. You can’t cook without fire, and politically correct conversation is always shallow. I, too am Christian and vegan. Can one start with mercy, love and compassion! Or is this some strange stuff we can do without. Mohandas Ghandi had no problem with Jesus, but he did with have a problem with the way a lot of “Christians” live and think nowadays.
We are seeing "Thou shall not kill replaced, with thou shall not murder. See, killing is when some man made authority ends your life. Murder is when you commit the same thing without, again, their blessing. Truth be known, Murder is killing, and killing is murder! God does not grant rights to State Authority to break any laws (Ten Commandments).
In my humble opinion, Old Testament (if you bother to read it) contains both the way of Jesus (as seen through Prophets) and man-made laws, ceremonies, self-righteousness and abominations. Some see this controversy as one of the strengths of the old testament. You, the reader should read both, accept the way of love and nonviolence and view the way of violence as something which should not exist.
These two distinct philosophies reflect two ends of all our troubles. Right there, a war in scriptures. Prophets (who were living ideals of the kingdom) and man made stuff such as Leviticus, Deuteronomy, etc. Now, now! Someone might say: "Deuteronomy is good, it contains the Ten Commandments! First of all Deuteronomy stands for a repeating of the law(ten commandments).
In my opinion there is no reason to repeat, we got the message the first time. What it is in reality is what is known as half truth. An old tool of Satan, first mention something that you know , that the target audience knows as the truth. In other words, nothing new or revealing, just something that is already accepted fact. Then add your lies, feel free to add anything which breaks the Ten Commandments and wait for the fish to grab the bait.
My message is, read and see the two separate things and separate them for good.
These two philosophies exist formally within people living their lives accordingly. First is the true religion, true reconnection with God, second is what Jesus rejected as way of men, tradition of the elders. Expanded within Judaism, and everyone else who wants to do their own thing. Just like Frank (Sinatra) did, his way.

It is really nice topic. Religion has a direct impact on your diet pattern. I am vegan because i am hinduism. Bible, Quran and Geeta all holy books are suggesting for the vegetarian.

Why to not follow such books? This books are providing a pathway towards how to lead your life. But obvious every once perception is very from each individual to individuals. It says, who ever lost his path of life, he will get the path in holy books.

I read the bible and it said: Take thy bow, I pray thee. Go out into the open country and take me some venison. Then I read: The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon the Earth. Upon every creature that scurrieth upon the ground, upon every fish that swims in the sea and upon every fowl that soareth upon the air. Into your hand are they committed.

This isn’t Vegan and it is in absolute contravention to the Vegan way. If there is a God he places man above all other animals. And evidently he is or condones eating meat!!!

I will start off saying that I am a believer in the Word, and am feeling compelled to give up animal products. I agree that we were created to eat plantlife only, in the beginning, so that would be the ideal diet for us, according to HIS will. The animals were initially created for Adam as companions, not as food. Scientific studies are apparently supporting that we are designed to eat fruits and vegetables, and not really ideally designed to consume and process meat. Apparently, we’ve also been seeing that the rate of animal consumption is directly proportionate to the amount of sickness and disease within a society. I can concur that, due to the unhealthy lifestyle the animals that we get the meat from have, combined with the chemicals they’re pumped with, make it even worse, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only reason. According to scientific studies AND the Bible, it’s not ideal for us.

Also, I agree that they, too, are HIS creations and we should not be cruel to them, as we are. I agree with the policeman that the treatment of them is reprehensible. Just because HE gave us dominion over them, doesn’t mean we are supposed to be treating them cruelly, not respecting their lives, killing them so carelessly for our selfish needs (when we don’t have to). A king is given dominion over his land and the people of his land, does that mean it’s ok for him to treat his people cruelly? To torture them, make their lives miserable, and even slaughter them or eat them? The argument that because we were given dominion over them making it ok to eat them is overly flawed… and that lack of compassion and mercy and justice is absolutely not what our savior would approve of.

In response to the gentlman who said that Noah was told to eat reptile eggs after the flood… Idk what I feel about that, but about your comment where if they ate any animals, they wouldn’t be able to procreate and the animals would be extinct, I think something is overlooked for that. Noah loaded 1 pair (2 of every) unclean animal, and 7 pairs of every clean animal. Go back and reread it, and you’ll see this is true. This would allow for plenty of meat for them to eat until the vegetation could regrow. I don’t like to argue “for” eating meat, but that makes the most sense. Eating reptile eggs is still eating animal life, even if it’s pre-birth (the same as abortion is still murder).

In response to the gentleman trying to jump on people about “not knowing what sin is”… you don’t seem to believe in the bible anyway, so how can you really say what sin is to believers? A sin is an immoral act. This is by the English definition. Who defines what is moral and immoral is where you err. So yes, you could say it is a “sin” to eat meat, according to what YOU believe is right and wrong, and any person could argue that ANYTHING is a sin by that standard… They could say they think it’s morally right or wrong based on their opinion. A believer defines sin as what’s morally right or wrong according to what HE told us in the Bible… So your argument about people not knowing “what sin is”, is flawed… They know, they just choose to answer to a higher power than themselves to determine what is morally right and/or wrong.

In conclusion, I can’t say that the act of eating meat is a sin. I will say that the way the cruel way which we care for these creatures that we were given dominion over, is not in sync with HIS spirit… and in that way, it could definitely be a sin… and voluntarily supporting it could also be considered sinful, as it is NOT necessary for us to live… and since it’s not necessary (nor ideal, since we’re finding it’s actually detrimental to our health), it’s obvious that we’re doing it for selfish, flesh-serving reasons (we like how it tastes, and don’t care what they have to go through in order to satisfy that fleshly desire).

Believers should really reflect upon this and ask ourselves, and ask HIM: What is more important, doing what’s right, or serving our fleshly desires?

Should Christians practice veganism? I think people who aspire to set their moral standards based on the teachings of the Bible should read this about the subject.

“And God said, Behold, I have given you every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” – Genesis 1:29 (KJV)

You are christian, that is your religion. Being vegan is also good, you are not eating any animal based foods. Means you are caring about the other souls. Just eat healthy and take nutritions from plant based foods. there are many people who are vegan. So take supplements to fulfill your body requirements.