Hommus?

How do you mash up your chickpeas so that it gets smooth? I always get some hard pieces.

Garbanzos are tricky.
From another website:

[color=darkblue]Before cooking,
soak chickpeas for 12 hours,
then pressure-cook for 20 to 25 minutes,
or boil them for 2 1/2 hours.
Chickpeas nearly triple in size after soaking and cooking.

Ok I’m doing basicaly the same thing while preparing them.
Then I use a food processor to mash all up.
And it gets smooth eventually but there are still small bits that are hard.
In restaurants they get it very smooth without hard bits that’s why I’m asking.

Or do I have to cook it after mashing up?

glad to know you make your very own hommus at home. to be honest, i took a gander at the ingredients list on the back of a canister of hommus at my grocery store and simply became dis-interested. all the neat flavors, but weird ingredients kinda made me look the other way. however, at-home-hommus is definately the way to go. regarding your question, i believe it has all to do with the refining quality of your machine/device. restaurants have the best. what are you currently using to grind & smooth to make your hommus? comments are welcome.

Well… I used a cheap kitchen unit by BrAun or Black and Decker I can’t remember cause I don’t have it anymore…
Did you try preparing hommus at home?

Happy NEW YEAR! :slight_smile:

Which ingredients a weird, mate?
Chickpeas and sesame seeds?
Or olive oil, garlic and lemon juice?
:smiley:

On the radio this morning, it said that Marks & Spencer are recalling all their hummous because they’ve found traces of salmonella in it. :astonished: How the heck did they manage that? Must be made in the same factory as something with raw egg or chicken, and someone didn’t wash their hands…

I like lumpy hummous, but I can never cook the chickpeas properly - they just boil dry and burn :cry: or I don’t cook them enough and they’re too hard.

Just follow the procedure, dragonfly has given and remove the garbanzos that floats because most of them are the hard ones.:wink:

I use a blender that I usually use for smoothies to make hummus. It’s not an expensive blender, ~$40 US, and it comes out smooth. I think the issue is with the cooking time probably, but i’m just guessing.

The flavor of homemade hummus is definitely much better. I also have a problem with the consistency not being the same as commercial hummus. But as far as I’m concerned, that’s not a big issue. The taste is more important.

Much of the commercial hummus at typical grocery stores has a nice consistency, but the fact that it is not fresh and also has preservatives and other spices that you may not want (seriously, does every hummus on the shelf HAVE to have cumin in it?) makes the flavor terrible in most cases.

Even all natural hummus from a health food store doesn’t taste as good as homemade. I limit the spices to salt, pepper and garlic powder. It’s awesome, even with the tiny chunks.

I agree with you… I love it with fresh garlic :wink: