Helping my 9 year old daughter make vegan food choices

I am a vegetarian and have been for many years. Although, I have just started to cut dairy more recently out of my diet. I have a 9 year old daughter who does not eat pork or beef, but does eat chicken, turkey, and dairy products. She seems to understand my views on eating animal protein and is starting to change her eating habits more and more. I do not want her to give up animal protein for the wrong reasons. I really would like her to make the decision on her own beliefs and true understanding of what it means to not eat animal products. What are some ways that I can help her develop a better non-biased opinion on eating animal products? Remember she is 9 and I do not want to force her into anything, she must believe in the cause in order for it to mean anything to her in the long run? Thanks for your ideas and comments.

I have to say that I disagree with you. I think you trying to be fair and not pressure your child. However, we as parents pressure and set guildlines for our kids all the time. Regarding meat consumption, I didn’t give my daughter a choice. In my home, there was no meat. Period. Just like I wouldn’t let her eat drano, I’m not letting her put something unhealthy in her body. She’s a child and needs rules. When she was at her dad’s or someplace else, I can’t monitor her every move, but when in my care, she put healthy things in her mouth. To give her the best shot in this sickly world. People force religion on their children. No one waits til their child is 16 to ask if he/she wants to go to Church. As a parent you are responsible for making the choices that are both prepare them for the future and keep them safe. Allowing her to eat meat until she decides not to, will do neither of those things.

Now my daughter is almost 20 and a vegan, by her own choice.

Good luck to you. :slight_smile:

I am not a parent, but I do like your approach :slight_smile:

It might be useful to explore why people do eat meat and dairy. For example, as a woman she will be regularly told to eat dairy to obtain calcium and prevent osteoperosis. You could talk to her about what osteoperosis is, what other factors affect osteoperosis, and what other foods can provide calcium. Is nutritional advice always unbiased? Or is it sponsored by food manufacturing companies? :wink:

Perhaps you could involve some other people, like an older family member who lived on rations during the war? Maybe there is a nurse or fitness instructor in your community who has reasons for eating meat or dairy?

Some farms now do open days, so it could be really interesting for your daughter to have a look around a livestock farm. However, they try to look very cute and friendly - you may have to fill her in on the details of how an animal gets from the field to the plate!

One experience that really stuck with me was when my father (a vegetarian) took me to a fish market as a child to see all the dead fish and sea creatures. He never pressured me to be vegetarian (and I didn’t become one until I was adult) but would ask questions like “How would you like it if someone came along and carried you off in a net to be eaten?” :laughing:

I have gone through this issue with my 3 kids. I became vegan about 6 years ago, but it took my kids quite a while. T they did not understand the whole philosophy of the vegan/vegetarian thing. Especially around their friends. I did not force anything onto them. I wanted them to make their own decisions on this. As a quick end end result: We are pretty much a Vegan family, except for Ranch Dressing. My kids won’t give up their ranch Dressing. My strategy was to not change over the the vegan diet lifestyle all at one time. We basically started it off with breakfasts, them added snacks and so on. Once kids start eliminating all the crap foods, then when they are with friends and sneak in pizza and hamburgers, their stomach doesn’t agree and they feel the pain. then they realize that a vegetarian diet is actually good for them.

ProteinVegan

I have gone through this issue with my 3 kids. I became vegan about 6 years ago, but it took my kids quite a while. T they did not understand the whole philosophy of the vegan/vegetarian thing. Especially around their friends. I did not force anything onto them. I wanted them to make their own decisions on this. As a quick end end result: We are pretty much a Vegan family, except for Ranch Dressing. My kids won’t give up their ranch Dressing. My strategy was to not change over the the vegan diet lifestyle all at one time. We basically started it off with breakfasts, them added snacks and so on. Once kids start eliminating all the crap foods, then when they are with friends and sneak in pizza and hamburgers, their stomach doesn’t agree and they feel the pain. then they realize that a vegetarian diet is actually good for them.

ProteinVegan