Help me! Am i a vegan?

Hello everyone! My name is Alyshia Goodchild and i am thinking about becoming a vegan… Here’s my story…

Well first off i was over weight, and unhappy with my self. So i tried dieting and nothing worked… I just couldn’t lose weight… I was 240lbs mind you and i am 5’4… So i was heavy… My friend introduced me to a thing called “The 90 Day Challenge” I didn’t know much about it. Ive recently heard of it… But that’s it!

So i checked out her website and i saw this “Meal replacement shake” It had all the vitamins, minerals and protein i would need. (2 shakes = 60% DV 1 inthe morning 1 at supper). So i did the 90 day challenge, lost 40lbs . I didn’t eat meat the entire time. Now its been 5 months in total, I have eaten no meat and am down 66lbs… Its suffice to say i am happy with my self…

So i started talking to my friend she was a vegan, and i started to see her point of view… And i haven’t really looked at meat the same…

I wasn’t sure if i should continually not eat meat… I wasn’t sure what it would do, or if it would be bad for me. And i wanted to hear for my self! So i went to my nutritionist, Told them about what meal replacement shakes i am taking, He said you wont ever need to eat meat for the rest of your life if you took these shakes as a replacement. Sooooooooo!

Now i am here! I would like to hear about other people’s experiences, and journeys!

Wow, that’s awesome! I too have come to veganism due to weight issues. What is the replacement shake you speak of? I’ve tried every popular diet out there (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem), and even the tried the apple cider diet, grapefruit diet and water pills. So veganism is my next step, especially since I no longer want to eat meat or eggs. I can’t drink milk due to lactose intolerance.

Your story is really inspiring to me. I also think if you have been doing so well without meat, why go back to eating it? :]

If you have questions about losing weight and eating vegan and you want good solid advice–backed up by facts–I would try Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s book Eat to Live. He talks about the huge disadvantages of eating animal products and the benefits of eating nutrient dense plants, nuts, seeds, mushrooms. It is not about being on a diet it is about eating a certain way. It’s worked for me, my husband and my mother–fantastic for weight loss and (as my doctor put it) “youthening”. :flower:

Congratulations Lysha on your weight loss and healthier life. I would need to see the ingredients in the supplemental shake to answer the question “am I vegan?” If you’re drinking the Vi-Shape Nutritional Shake, which came up first on my Google search for “90 day challenge shake ingredients”, then it’s not a vegan shake. It contains milk ingredients. That being said, I don’t know what shake you’re actually drinking, so it may well be a vegan shake.

would love to hear a follow p, how is the vegan journey going ???

I am happy to be here. It is very good forum diss cussing of the Vegabs. I am not over weighted but my belly was being up and my wife started to bite me always. She allowed only vegetables. Gradually I got result. I also got help from a good report i came across is “7 Pillars To Starting A Vegetarian Lifestyle”.

First of all, good for you for wanting to quit meat and eggs and dairy!!! :slight_smile:

Second- You need to be eating more than just meal replacement shakes. They are a processed food, and processed foods aren’t good for long term use. They DEFINITELY shouldn’t be a staple. You might replace a meal with them once a day or every few days for convenience, but if you’re just having shakes you’re really not getting all the nutrients you need. It’s the same concept as taking a vitamin- you don’t absorb much of it if it’s processed. Only if you’re getting it through food do you get the full benefits.

Eat broccoli, bananas, carrots, brown rice once in a while, strawberries, apples, oranges, clementines, grapefruit, grapes, cauliflower, kale, beans, lentils, etc. Eat a rainbow of foods and your body will be healthy and you will be happy. Also, drink TONS of water. Seriously. This flushes the toxins out of your system and makes your skin brighter and undoes the damage you may have done to your kidneys in the past. Nothing spurs weight loss like getting at least your 8 glasses a day!

this I worth checking out! A Londoner goes around speaking to people across town and comes across Vegan stall called Earthlings. there’s so many of these places popping up (excuse the pun) around the capital

thelocalbeings.com/1500-2/

Very cool story! I would start finding a way to replace those shakes with actual plant food, however. Processed foods are dangerous and it’s always best to get your nutrition from the most natural source possible.

While those shakes may be designed to help you lose weight and support your body while you go through this, they are not an excellent choice for everyday life. You can, however, make a natural version of the shakes in the form of a blended smoothie. Takes a bit more effort, but you get to choose what’s in it and actually see and feel the foods as you add them in.