Fruit and veg consumption tied to mental health

A previous study suggested that consuming five portions of fruits and vegetables a day is the optimum amount for lowering the risk of death from any cause, which contradicts another study that suggested we should be eating seven portions of fruit and veg a day.

The researchers from this latest study, led by Dr. Saverio Stranges of the University of Warwick Medical School in the UK, used data from the Health Survey for England, which included nearly 14,000 adults over the age of 16.

This survey collected detailed information on the mental and physical health of the participants, as well as their health-related behaviors, demographics and socio-economic characteristics.

In addition, the team assessed the participants’ mental well-being using the Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Wellbeing Scale, putting the top 15% of participants in the “high mental well-being” group, the bottom 15% in the low group, and those between 16-84% in the middle group.

‘The higher the veg and fruit intake, the lower the chance of low well-being’
Overall, the researchers found that high and low mental well-being were typically associated with the participants’ fruit and vegetable intake.

In detail, 35.5% of participants with high mental well-being ate five or more portions of fruits and vegetables a day, compared with only 6.8% who consumed less than one portion.

Additionally, 31.4% of the individuals from the high mental well-being group ate three to four fruit and veg portions per day, and 28.4% ate one to two.

“The data suggest that [the] higher an individual’s fruit and vegetable intake, the lower the chance of their having low mental well-being,” says Dr. Stranges.

The researchers also considered other health-related behaviors - such as smoking, alcohol intake and obesity - and found that only smoking and fruit and vegetable intake were consistently associated with mental well-being.

Read more here

What fruits and vegetables where used on that experiments? If you want to improve mental health, good fats like omega 3,6,9 are the kings to improve mental health. Of course some fruits and vegetables help, but would be nice to know exactly which one were used on the test.

I remember one doctor who said you don’t imagine that amount of crap experiments we make. Experiments is an industry, let me give you an example. Orange Farmers want to improve their selling quantities, they pay some scientist to make a “experiment” to demostrate “eating oranges can reduce 25% of risk to get flu”. I always double check those “results”, of course this doesn’t meant all experiments are crappy or false, but many of them exist because someone pay to get nice result and improve their own industry.

i totally agree with this theory . diet plays an important role for your mental well being. a plate full of essential good fats , natural sweetens like fruits, fiber all are very essential.

i totally agree with this theory . diet plays an important role for your mental well being. a plate full of essential good fats , natural sweetens like fruits, fiber all are very essential.expressive therapy for depression