8 oz (225g) plain flour
4 oz (115g) very cold vegan margarine
Cold water to mix
2 oz (55g) vegan margarine
1 stick celery, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, chopped fine
1 medium potato, diced
1 small onion, sliced
2 oz (55g) mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Seasoning to taste
1/2 tsp yeast extract
- Start with the pastry: rub margarine into flour, mixing well. Add salt and then just enough water to bind the mixture to a stiff dough. If possible cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for half an hour.
- Roll the dough out and cut into four even-sized squares, placing them onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Melt the margarine and gently fry the celery, carrot, potato and onion for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, cover pan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes more, or until soft. Add herbs, seasoning and yeast extract.
- Divide the vegetable mixture between the squares of dough, draining first if necessary. Dampen the edges with water, fold across diagonally, and press firmly to seal.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 200C/400F/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked. Serves 4.