Chocolate Sponge Cake

For other flavoured sponges use - for example - lemon juice and rind or vanilla instead of cocoa

6 oz (175g) self raising flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1 oz (25g) cocoa
3 oz (75g) sugar
4 1/2 fl oz (125 ml) melted vegan margarine
11 1/2 fl oz (325 ml) cold water

1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Divide the mixture between two well greased round tins. Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

2. Make chocolate or coffee flavour “butter” icing using 6 oz (170g) of sieved icing sugar to 3 oz (85g) vegan margarine, plus flavouring. Use some of this to sandwich the cakes together, and the rest to decorate the top. Add plain chocolate drops, grated chocolate, chocolate covered coffee beans, vegan “cream”, alcohol etc as desired!

The recipe itself tastes very delicious! I wonder, when this cake will get baked, it will smell so sweet and wonderful. I am crazy for cheese layer which you mentioned that we can add, I guess increases the softness in the cafe. Too much mouth-watering one! Also, I like vanilla and orange/ lemon flavour, but as this is something new, gonna surely try for it.