6 oz (170g) sugar
2 oz (55g) cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cider vinegar
4 fl oz (110 ml) vegetable oil
8 fl oz (230 ml) water

1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
  2. Mix together all the dry ingredients.
  3. Make a well in the centre and add all the wet ingredients except the water. Gradually add the water and mix until smooth. Do not over mix.
  4. Line an 8 inch round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper and pour in the mixture.
  5. Bake in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Test with a cake skewer before removing (it should come out clean).
  6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from tin and cool on a wire rack. Cut into 3 layers when cool.

Filling

2 tsp Kirsch or cherry brandy
1 x 14 oz can morello cherries
1 oz (30g) arrowroot
1 1/2 tbsp fine cornmeal (polenta)
5 fl oz (140 ml) sweetened soya milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 oz (55g) vegan margarine

1. Soak the bottom layer of cake with the Kirsch.
  2. Drain the juice from the cherries and mix it with the arrowroot. Bring to boil and simmer until thickened. Add the cherries and spread on the bottom layer. Place the second layer on top.
  3. Mix the cornmeal with the soya milk in a saucepan a little at a time, avoiding lumps. Add the vanilla essence then heat and stir gently until it thickens. Cool.
  4. Beat the margarine with a fork until it creams. Add the cooled cornmeal mixture a little at a time and blend until you have a rich smooth creamy mixture. Add more soya milk if it seems too thick.
  5. Spread half of this mixture over the second layer of cake then place the top layer on top.
  6. Spread half the rest on top then use the rest to decorate with a piping bag. Decorate with shavings of vegan chocolate and maraschino cherries.

The recipe itself tastes very delicious! I wonder, when this cake will get baked, it will smell so sweet and wonderful. I am crazy for cheese layer which you mentioned that we can add, I guess increases the softness in the cafe. Too much mouth-watering one! Also, I like vanilla and orange/ lemon flavour, but as this is something new, gonna surely try for it.