Why vegans don't eat honey?

Hmm, I never ate much honey anyway. But when I turned vegan, people kept buying me toiletries with royal jelly in them :unamused: how strange… :slight_smile:

There’s an article on Bee welfare here: vegansociety.com/html/animal … n/bees.php
The major welfare problem is to do with the egg-laying process: the queen bee is artifically inseminated with sperm from decapitated bees. She is usually killed after 2 years, when her egg-laying abilities decline. New queens are purchased by mail order, and have their wings clipped to force them to stay in the same location [taken from the Animal Free Shopper]

Bees store honey for the lean winter months. Humans take it, and replace it with glucose or corn-syrup (which is nutrient-deficient). Synthetic pesticides and antibiotics are also used on the bees.

They are intelligent insects with a complex communication system. :slight_smile:

As my father always said, you might come back as an insect in the next life :astonished:

“Like other factory-farmed animals, honeybees are victims of unnatural living conditions, genetic manipulation, and stressful transportation … Profiting from honey requires the manipulation and exploitation of the insects’ desire to live and protect their hive. Even the most careful keeper cannot help but squash or otherwise kill many of the bees in the process. During unproductive months, some beekeepers may starve their bees to death or burn the hive to avoid complex maintenance.”

=Stepaniak=

Try reading ‘a world without bees’. It’s really informative about bee exploitation and made the issue clear to me.

Thanks for that Redsunflower that might help. I often ask how can we hurt bees by eating honey…

BEEKEEPERS USED TO KILL OFF THE BEES IN WINTER.

So vegan is defined by philosophy not what you eat?

Is there any difference here regarding honey?

Because it enslaves bees

They don’t eat honey because farming honey bees usually overwhelms the native bee populations, and the local ecosystem suffers because of the changes in pollenation. Or at least that’s why it started. Now some vegans are saying it’s because of enslavement of bees and stealing their honey, but I think that’s kind of stupid and illogical because the bees actually overproduce honey in captivity, and honestly they are insects and have no idea that they are “enslaved.” But yeah, the environment is important.

eating honey is stealing teh bees food.