WHAT ABOUT WINES AND BEERS?

Yes! Lots of Pancakes! :laughing: I should have called it Shrove Tuesday (I think Catholic/Protestant religious holidays are at different times to the Orthodox ones?); it is the day before Lent, so historically people would use up all their food making pancakes before fasting for Lent. Very few people fast nowadays, but pancake day has remained :smiley:
it has become more of a national celebration, rather than a religious one :slight_smile:

British pancakes are traditionally thin, like French crepes (but not that thin), and are served with white sugar and lemon juice sprinkled on top, then rolled up. I find it difficult to make thin pancakes without egg, so mine are a bit thicker :wink:

Itā€™s strange how much this holiday is similar to Russian ā€œMaslenitaā€, itā€™s a holiday which name have as root ā€œbutterā€ in Russian so I suppose in Russia they used all preserves of butter to make pancakes before Lent.

When Iā€™ve showed pancakes Iā€™m making to a guy from US, he said that these pancakes are more similar to French thing, or may be in US they make pancakes thicker? :wink:
By the way, I usually can make thin enough pancakes with these ingredients:
flour
water
salt
sugar
you can add vegetable oil, but itā€™s not necessary.

You know, I havenā€™t had pancakes in a long time. I am craving them now. I think that I shall whip myself up some tomorrow morning :smiley:.

When I went to the US last year the hotel provided some really sweet breakfasts, including stacks of small, thick pancakes covered in cherries and maple syrup :smiley: Hey, Lunarflowermaiden, any recipes? :wink:

You went to the U.S. :astonished:?! I wish that you could visit here again so that we could meet. You seem like an awesome person! Anyway, I was going to ask you or anyone else here the same question. I havenā€™t had pancakes since long before I became a vegan and still ate eggs, and all of the recipes I can find here are ones that include eggs. So, I was wondering if you knew of any good recipes that exclude the eggs?

Aw, thanks :slight_smile: So do I! :smiley: By sheer luck I managed to get on a work trip over there, to have a meeting with another company - the guy who should have gone had let his passport expire :slight_smile: We visited Boston, which is a gorgeous city (and surrounding area) if you havenā€™t been.

A few of my school-friends have ended up living abroad, and I really want to take a year off work soon and go travelling and see everyone - I really regret not taking a gap year before or after university to do some travelling! Now I just need to be good and save up some moneyā€¦ :unamused:

My pancakes are pretty much as per Sergioā€™s recipe, though I did experiment with using an egg replacer powder thatā€™s made of potatoe starch (semi-worked!) :frowning: How do you make the cherry syup stuff - is it just boiled cherries/berries? :slight_smile: Maybe Iā€™ll do some ā€œresearchā€ in the morning :smiley:

How cool it would be to have a meeting so that we could show each other how we cook different dishes :slight_smile:

Does this mean that wines are not vegan?:frowning: