teasing for being a vegetarian

recently my mom called me a vegan freak (im in high school btw) and a bunch of people have told me i need mental help cuz im a vegan :stuck_out_tongue: but who cares?! theyr gonna die of a heart attack or somethin and im gonna live a long healthy vegan life. woohoo!!! i dont really care what anyone thinks because i know what i am doing is right. and yeah, it hurts when someone who is supposed to care about you or someone who you care about calls you a freak, but in the long run its not gonna matter anymore. keep the veg alive!!!

The fact that you talk about your own mother as well as your peers having a fatal heart attack in such a casual manner may indicate that you do actually need some mental help. Perhaps your mother was justified in saying what she said if you made your offensive attitude known to her.

I hate it. I actually try to avoid bringing up the subject and when itā€™s absolutely necessary and only to close-minded people Iā€™ll use the cop-out and say itā€™s for this ā€œNew Diet Iā€™m Tryingā€, this is to my really old-fashioned family or other people who are very set in their ways, but to other people Iā€™m more open about it and try to keep an enlightened example rather than an in-your-face sort of standard.

But yeah, People tell me it makes no difference to which I say ā€œIf you canā€™t do everything it doesnā€™t mean you should do nothingā€ and that thereā€™s certain things I need in my body and I say ā€œCholesterol, Diabetes and Bacteria are none of those thingsā€ and then they say ā€œGod made animals to be eatenā€ or ā€œWeā€™re at the top of the food chain for a reasonā€ and I say ā€œGod didnā€™t make animals to suffer like THISā€ and ā€œThen we should evolve past surviving on dead thingsā€, Some people wonā€™t see any other way though and get off on thinking Vegetarianism equals being weak or ignorant.

If one of your arguments somehow stipulates that eating dead animals is somehow less evolved than eating dead plants then I think I understand why people are teasing you.

woah, there. okay i sounded kinda crazy there. but i really donā€™t have a problem and i wasnā€™t serious about the heart attack thing. i was just trying to emphasize the point that meat is bad for you. iā€™m not offensive towards anyone who eats meat - if you knew me, youā€™d see that i promise. letā€™s try to be supportive of everyone and not go around telling people they need mental help. :slight_smile:

A few people occasionally tease me, but it only strengthens my convictions about being a vegetarian.
Whatever they say, or whatever arguments they offer, I can usually offer some words to make them think about their meat-eating lifestyle.

But generally most people are, at the least, appreciative. And some are interested and think that itā€™s good, but say that they cannot be a vegetarian.Often they comment that itā€™s healthy.