Is lactic acid vegan

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum and wanted to say a quick hello. Hi!! :laughing:

I want to ask the forum about an ingredient called lactic acid. I am a vegan and have been for around 5 or six years now and I always thought lactic acid was from animal milk but now I keep reading itā€™s from beets. I donā€™t know which section to post this question in cos I looked in the animal ingredients forum and the headings were fruit and veg, cereals etc. Help!!

In wikipedia it is written that, lactic acid is primarily found in sour milk products, such as: koumiss, leban, yogurt, kefir, and some cottage cheeses.

O also know that during workout lactic acid is formed in the muscles.

Also from wikipedia, bacteria in a personā€™s mouth convert glucose, fructose, and most commonly sucrose (table sugar) into acids such as lactic acid through a glycolytic process called fermentation.

If you are asking about the ingredient in some foods then it is usually vegan.
Lactic acid is produced by fermentation of cornstarch or beet sugar.

Thankyou. I have been reading all sorts about it online. Some people are saying that it can be derived from animal slaughterhouse products but this is rare in food but common in medicines. It seems that it is mostly vegan and anything starting with ā€œlacā€ is also vegan. Mostly. Confusing sometimes.

Abi