Is it Fruit or Vegetable?

I agree with you, Liz. I have an autoimmune disease, vitiligo ;and here is my personal experience of eating fruits and vegetables: http://yenieta.com/healthy

Tomatoe technically is fruit but shelved with vegetables.

It’s technically a fruit, but it’s often treated like a vegetable.

Hahaha it seems very funny as we all know both are as much as important. Its difficult to skip from our lives. :flower:

Tomato is a fruit but it is eaten as Vegetable like salad or in foods.

I just eat them, I don’t care if is fruit or vegetable, taste good and is much better than eat a chicken.

Botanically, a tomato is a fruit:

the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant.

However, the tomato is not as sweet as most foods eaten as fruit, and is typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, rather than at dessert.

It is therefore considered a vegetable for most culinary purposes. One exception is that tomatoes are treated as a fruit in home canning practices: they are acidic enough to be processed in a water bath rather than a pressure cooker as “vegetables” require. Tomatoes are not the only foodstuff with this ambiguity: eggplants, cucumbers, and squashes of all kinds are all botanically fruits, yet cooked as vegetables.

Here is the answer for your question I found out at website: oxforddictionaries.com :smiley:
The confusion about ‘fruit’ and ‘vegetable’ arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a ‘fruit’, though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example.
As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits, such as tomatoes or bean pods, may be called ‘vegetables’ because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The term ‘vegetable’ is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term ‘fruit’ may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example.
So, the answer to the question is that a tomato is technically the fruit of the tomato plant, but it’s used as a vegetable in cooking.

I think tomato is vegetable.

I am vegan for 8 years, my husband and son eat meat, i would really love my son to be a vegan too, but of course, i can not force him to stop eating meat. He thinks i make him study Mathbecause want him to be an engineer, and it is already enough. As for me I prefer to eat vegetables, cause there so many recipes i cook every day.

Is its flavor fruity or vegetal? Or would it go with salt… that’s it I think, vegetables are the salted plants (in culinary terms).

Here’s my question: do people with plates in their lips prefer fruits or vegetables? :scratch: Well I suppose cream corn would work with that! As far as flavoring goes, grains like corn are in between a fruit and vegetable, where they can be salted and sweetened at the same time, and taste better that way (or that’s a matter of taste, like a plate in the lip).

Wow, this is very interesting!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

I also think so)

I was always told a tomato is a fruit as it has seeds :slight_smile:

I thought it is vegetable because most of the time we cook it with other veggies. I also prefer eating it raw. So nevermind, if it is fruit or veggie. It is helpful for health that’s enough for me :smiley:

i love it as a fruit or vegetables if the tomato is tasty! haha i prefer the small tomatos, easier to eat as a snack.

Potatoes are definitely vegetables. A packet of crisps are a part of my 5 a day :stuck_out_tongue: