Is it ethical to keep a pet?

Thanks meign. :- ) I do believe that humans and animals are capable of developing great relationships. As long as it’s by choice on both sides.

I find it really upsetting to see animals in cages, whether or not they are considered ‘pets’ or not. Hamsters, chickens, any creature at all. Sometimes I feel sad for the cows living in the field close to me cos they can’t have natural lives where they live in family groups. The bellowing that goes on when their babies are taken away haunts me. I guess ideally all animals would be left to their own devices, roaming free and choosing what they do.

I believe so if domesticated. It would be very sincere to adopt a dog from the pound especially. THats you saving lives :wink: pets that come from pets stores is inacceptable though.

I am completely opposed to animals being caged in any space. I have seen the repercussions this has on the city spaces from animal poop, animals parked outside restaurants, the culture of dog walkers for people who want to “own” pets but have no responsibility in their needs, the psychological distress of animals in kennels, cars and airplanes as their owners selfishly tote them about as if a Louis Vuitton bag, and the psychological use and abuse of animals. Many people get pets because it is an thoughtless reflex of their needs but never the animals’ needs. It is also a relatively recent social phenomenon which, like slavery, has a similar set of logic behind such actions: they need us to survive, they wouldn’t be able to survive on their own to we have a moral responsibility to take care of them. Again, all in the terms we frame and exercise, never for the animal to be set free.

Animal owners retort with the typical defenses such as: my dog loves being on a leash, riding in the car, canned food, etc. But the real problem is that the comparative life these animals have is non-existent–they exist for generations in people spare rooms, cellars, or the entire house only to be allowed freedom from time to time. Nobody would accept being kept locked up in a house or a flat all day long to be allowed out for exercises and bodily functions twice a day. Why on earth would anyone inflict this on an animal? Furthermore, the idea that animals “want companionship” is a cultural narcissism that really needs to be examined. Animals want to eat and move around freely but our culture of pet fetishism leaves generations of animals with no choice whatsoever.

The real ethical dimensions of animal ownership are the actual ethics of owning any life and having control over its bodily functions, physical movements and psychological possibilities making these vital needs dependent upon your mood, your job, your being awake or not, and your being at home. What infuriates me most is when people maintain that their pets keep them from depression. Great paradigm: you lock up an animal so you can feel psychologically better. Get a good therapist and practice letting go. I would even go as far as to say that people that utilise animals as a surrogate to therapy and working out their issues are predatory upon animals. Animals have needs just like any creature–dogs, cats, birds, hamsters also want to move freely, not shit on pieces of paper or in a box, have psychological connections to those whom they choose to include other species or even humans. They also have the right not to and pet ownership precludes all choices for animals to move, think and feel. They are conditioned to loving one person (as if this were really love) in a desperate act of dependency upon their meals and twenty minutes outside a day (if they are lucky).

I am not saying to let animals die out by any means, but we should simply not allow anyone to own animals at all. They should be free in the country to live, no hunting, etc. In the city, well it is a crazy hypocrisy that we want to have a creature which by its very nature is an animal and most anthropomorphise this creature feeding it according to OUR schedules of eating, walking it according to OUR waking schedules, etc. This is completely unfair to creatures which, although different from humans, have every bit as much right to the freedom of movement and being in the wild where they are happiest.

Vets contend that cats are better off indoors. I keep my big girl, ally, inside. :cat: They’re safe from disease, fights, unleashed dogs, cars, etc.

I don’t feel people should own a wild animal. It troubles me when people own snakes, for example. Especially the manner in which they feed them. In the wild, of course, snakes catch and eat live prey. However, I find it chilling & sad, too, that people buy baby mice or rats to feed their snakes.

About dogs: seems I’d read that eons ago, that wild dogs followed roving bands of people, and eventually befreinded them. Perhaps there was a symbiotic relationship involved.

Anyhoo, since humans have domesticated animals, they then have a duty to care for them in a loving, humane manner. And to adopt only rescue animals. I don’t believe in breeding, animal mills, or pet shops.

Just want to add that while many people own pets for selfish reasons, especially when they buy from breeders, many of we humans want to help an animal. And to give and accept love in any relationship is a desirable thing. Too, I like the
idea of interacting with any animal, wild and domesticated, if it’s the animal’s choice/is mutual. As well, owning an animal to use it to work for us has also troubled me;I don’t think we need animals to work for us. And fighting animals is horribly cruel and selfish indeed. I’d once told a friend that I thought cock fighting was ethically wrong. She told me that it’s often part of a person’s culture. Bah! That’s a piss poor excuse.

Adding to this a few days late but…

I have three cats. I ended a relationship with someone who wasn’t thrilled with animals period if they weren’t on a plate, so once I dumped him, it opened my life back to have a pet. Since I live in a small apartment with a very easy-going landlord, a cat was perfect. So off to the shelter where on her last day to be saved (it’s a kill shelter) I find this gorgeous seal point Siamese with huge China blue eyes. She was so quiet and so “zen” and so 30 pounds… Yet nobody wanted her despite how beautiful she was. I adopted her and she was instantly my best friend. But I work a lot of hours and she hated being alone. I’d walk through the door and she’d literally throw herself into my arms claws first, desperate for attention. So back to the shelter. Again, in the very same cage I’d found Kaballah in, there was an adorable tabby point Siamese with sky blue eyes. Also ready to be adopted or destroyed the next day. I called him Kabuki because of his little painted face. The moment I walked through the door with him in a carrier, Kaballah gave me the most disgusted look. I opened the carrier, Kabuki rushed out, Kaballah took one look at him, knocked him to the floor and started giving him a bath. They were best friends from that moment forward.

Five months ago, for reason’s I can’t explain I feel the need to go to the shelter after work. They were removing kittens from the cages for euthanasia and there was this tiny, tiny barely weaned little grey tabby. She was terrified of everything and everyone. But when no one was looking she played with a tiny bandanna they tied over her identification collar and she’d managed to wiggle out of. Watching her was o adorable, yep, one more comes home. But this one was completely terrified and ran under the bed and wouldn’t come out. The two big bullies on the other hand hated her. I had to keep her locked up by herself in the bedroom when I wasn’t home to make sure they didn’t harm her. Two days later Kieko crept out from under the bed and into my lap with a purr bigger than she was. Now, five months later, she’s Queen of the household and rules it with an iron fist, I mean, paw.

I get the ethics of not wanting to impose civilization and human society on what should be free animals. In a perfect world they would be just that - free. But the world isn’t perfect and free anymore. All three of these amazing furry family members would be dead if they weren’t living with me. So I have one thing to say about people who stand on ethics and would rather let animals die in shelter. What the heck is wrong with you? Get your butt to a shelter and save a life.

'Rani

Of course it’s fine to have a pet… If you get it from a shelter. Anyone who says it’s wrong to have a pet is pretty much saying it’s ok to kill animals. Even no kill shelters at some point have to turn down animals that will go to kill shelters. I have a cat that I love to death! I wasn’t actually going to get a cat but on a visit to a shelter I found her… She was beautiful and extremely smart. I was told that because she was 3 nobody wanted to adopt her (because people want kittens). Well she had been there for 2 weeks and wouldn’t really eat. Their option was to put her to sleep the next day. I took her home the very next day and have had her for 12 years now! So yes keeping a pet from a shelter is a great thing to do!

I thought about this a lot and one point I didn’t see in all of the posts is the fact that dogs and cats eat meat. I’m wondering about the fact that other animals are killed to feed our pets. 2 out of 3 of my cats came from a shelter but we did get one from a pet shop because we get our pets based on personality, not looks. I thought I would throw this out to see what others thought about this aspect of having pets.

Having a pet or animal with you is not really bad and I think this is not a slavery as long as you don’t hurt them. For me I just have them because they don’t have home and if I don’t have them other people will hurt them and maybe kill them or bad they will torture them. Atleast when they are with me they are free and they are not harm. May be they can’t do anything and not free as I am but I know my friends(the animals I have) are not mad at me. And for sure they are also happy to have me. I bring them anywhere I go. And if its ok I let them play. I bring them in the park. They are my friend rather than a pet.

i think there is nothing wrong with sharing your home with an animal, i mean, i took a kitten from the streets three years ago and bring her to my home, if i wold leave her on the street to die, now THAT would be unethical to me.

But i think it is very unethical to actively obtain a “pet” like buying a pet in a store. The word “pet” alone is very denigrating to a living being, it is as if it’s only purpose of life is to be “cute” towards it’s owner.

With todays overpopulation of dogs and cats, I feel like it is the best option to adopt them so they are not put to death. Thousands and thousands of homeless pets are killed each year because there are not enough homes.Some of them are puppies and kittens brought into this world just to die in a shelter without ever experiencing life…It is such a waste. I think as long as you can provide a safe, healthy and happy home and SPAY/NEUTER, then please do so.

There are some breeds of animal that man has selfishly created. These breeds could not survive in the wild without humans. They are Bulldogs, pugs, all the smooshed in faced dogs and cats were not products of natural selection. The truth is these pets have trouble breathing, exercising and some cannot even breed on their own. They must have C-sections! This is not what nature intended. Please do not buy these breeds!

With that said, You may need to do some research on the pet you are bringing home. If you live in a city or small apartment, Don’t get a dog that was bred to run and chase things (i.e. Hounds, huskies, sighthounds, Shepherd/collie breeds, etc.) Most working and sporting breeds are probably not a good match. It just isnt fair to them if you cannot offer them the fulfillment that they require.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A PUPPY OR KITTEN FROM ANYWHERE. There are just too many that will die in the shelters if you do. Mutts and strays are usually a good choice. Products of natural selection and much in need of homes!!!

The only pets I feel like most people cannot accomadate are birds and fish. Having these animals does not seem right to me. Birds are supposed to fly… thats why they have wings. Clipping the wings so they cannot do so seems cruel and selfish to me. If you love something, let it go! Think of how much space a bird has in nature to fly with their flock and even migrate. Keeping them in a cage is like jail. They sit there all day by themselves, lonely and bored, sometimes going insane and pulling their feathers out :frowning:
Fish are made to swim, not to float in a bowl. Schools of fish are like families that enteract and play together. It is beatiful to watch them in their natural habitat. Taking that away from them to sit on our shelves is just wrong. We give them only enough to survive on (if that) but not enough to thrive on. We cannot duplicate mother nature no matter how many gallons our tanks are. Its just not the same.

:munky2: :albino: :cat: :grommit: :duckie: :snorting: :fish:

Many animals love being indoors, especially in seasonal parts of the planet. The real problem is when indoor pets want to go outside and you don’t let them. I also have a big problem with any caged animals.
Owning something…anything caged seems disgusting to me.
Is it a decoration or a living animal? Does it want to live indoors or is it forced to entertain you?
These are the essential questions I would ask before ever considering owning a pet.

My daughter wants to be a veterinarian when she is older. She is only 7 but she values the importance of an animal having its freedom and open space to run and grow. Helping sick/injured animals and getting the opportunity to care for them indoors is one perk of being an animal doctor. More power to her. I hope she sticks to her guns.

Outdoor pets that come and go= no problem.
Caring for an animal that would die outside of captivity= no problem
Indoor animals that do not require a cage or restraint= no problem

:salute:

This is one of the strongest, most acute arguments against animal ownership I have come accross. I personally have a dog but I found your rationale against it quite thought provoking.

:blob8:

:angry8:

:book:

[quote]
[I get the ethics of not wanting to impose civilization and human society on what should be free animals. In a perfect world they would be just that - free. But the world isn’t perfect and free anymore. All three of these amazing furry family members would be dead if they weren’t living with me. So I have one thing to say about people who stand on ethics and would rather let animals die in shelter. What the heck is wrong with you? Get your butt to a shelter and save a life. /quote]

Well said!

The stories of people who have adopted shelter pets are sooo touching. Good for you! I adopted my big tortoiseshell, Ally, from a shelter. She was 4 at time time; she is 8 now. She had been there a month. Lol, I had to be given a ride home because I wouldn’t have been able to carry her and the large carrier the shelter lent me. Oh, she is a big girl: weighs in at 14 lbs. :cat:

As for people seeming to want to adopt kittens, I much prefer a seasoned adult cat. Kittens are too wild for me!

www.azaflcio.org/globalmk.cfm michael kors handbags outlet cheap michael kors handbags outlet michael kors outlet store cheap michael kors outlet michael kors handbags outlet cheap michael kors handbags outlet "The more than one ethnics understand that each has sensitive issues and a number of us took some of these into consideration, agreeing to accelerate efforts for more information about reach an agreement,associated with said government spokesman Yoshihide Suga cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet cheap michael kors handbags cheap michael kors outlet michael kors outlet store Some 300 Tamil families,who escaped their villages and towns during going to be the fighting between Tamil rebels and government soldiers,live in your settlement www.uawlocal239.org/mkfun.cfm cheap michael kors bags cheap michael kors bags www.uawlocal239.org/mkfun.cfm cheap michael kors handbags outlet Militants have been targeting security forces in your area for almost an all in one decade michael kors outlet online www.uawlocal239.org/mkfun.cfm cheap michael kors bags cheap michael kors outlet cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet store cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet afscme151.org/low-pricedmk.cfm cheap michael kors outlet michael kors outlet michael kors handbags outlet cheap michael kors outlet michael kors outlet cheap michael kors handbags michael kors outlet store cheap michael kors bags michael kors outlet ISLAMABAD: The banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has launched its Urdu website hosting videos,a multi function magazine, and interviews and statements having to do with its top leaders cheap michael kors michael kors outlet online cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet online cheap michael kors bags cheap michael kors outlet The general perception is the reason that that GM could be the slow for more information regarding communicate, slow to learn more about act, and, at times,all it takes is additional effort having to do with ODI that a number of us must hardly what better way would be the fact necessary allowing an individual some having to do with your co-workers Frank Borris, head of NHTSA’s Office to do with Defects Investigation, said throughout the a July 2013 email to learn more about GM cheap michael kors purses cheap michael kors handbags outlet cheap michael kors purses cheap michael kors handbags www.azaflcio.org/globalmk.cfm michael kors outlet online

cheap michael kors handbags cheap michael kors michael kors outlet www.uawlocal259.org/mksalegate.cfm cheap michael kors handbags outlet cheap michael kors bags afscme151.org/low-pricedmk.cfm The modifications were made in late 2012 and ahead of due date 2013 cheap michael kors handbags outlet michael kors outlet online michael kors outlet online michael kors outlet online michael kors factory outlet We are deeply saddened to hear about going to be the tragic passing having to do with all of our friend or family member Eric Hill michael kors factory outlet cheap michael kors outlet cheap michael kors purses cheap michael kors bags cheap michael kors They say he or she admitted creating more than one fake female personas both to and from his home and encouraged others to learn more about have to worry about the same everywhere in the an effort for more information regarding address boys a number of things sexually explicit images about themselves michael kors outlet online cheap michael kors handbags michael kors outlet online michael kors outlet store www.cwa7800.org/mkcourse.cfm cheap michael kors handbags cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet online cheap michael kors cheap michael kors handbags cheap michael kors handbags michael kors outlet michael kors outlet cheap michael kors handbags cheap michael kors handbags outlet michael kors outlet afscme151.org/low-pricedmk.cfm michael kors outlet Embattled former Pakistani dictator Pervez Musharraf failed to learn more about appear before a multi functional special court everywhere over the Thursday to explore face trial everywhere over the a multi functional its keep treason case,so that you have his legal team are you in need exemption and then for his appearance and also adjournment having to do with the hearing gorgeous honeymoons as well five weeks cheap michael kors purses michael kors outlet store cheap michael kors bags michael kors outlet online cheap michael kors bags cheap michael kors outlet Medical marijuana is the reason that right now legal all over the 20 US ‘good morning anita hill’ and Washington DC www.atu627.org/mkcheapweb.cfm michael kors factory outlet michael kors factory outlet cheap michael kors www.cwa7800.org/mkcourse.cfm www.coaflcio.org/mkfollow.cfm

I prefer “companion animal” to “pet” which infers ownership of a lesser being.

Would you consider living with a black person slavery? Of course not. So it clearly depends on how you think about and how you treat the non-humans in your household.

I lived with a wonderful canine from 1972 to 1986. He was not only my best friend, he was one of my most important teachers.