Iditarod: Dog sled race of death

I wrote this article and would love to have it proof read. I am not the best writer.

[i]Iditarod: Dog sled race of death

Iditarod is a dog sled race held every March in Alaska. In this dog sled drivers (known as musher’s) force their dogs to run 1,150 miles from Anchorage to Nome in 8 to 15 days over a grueling terrain.

In recent years musher’s have pressed their dogs to run at ever increasing speeds, resulting in the extremely cruel treatment of dogs.

So how cruel is this race? In 1997, the Anchorage Daily news reported that “at least 107 [dogs] have died.” Common causes of death include: strangulation from towlines, internal hemorrhaging after being gouged by a sled, pneumonia, liver injury, and heart failure. In fact, only 50% of the dogs on average will make it across the finish line.

When racing dogs cannot keep up they are often dragged during the race causing neck injuries. Many are far too often forced to run even when tired or ill.

The Iditarod violates accepted standards regarding animal cruelty as is shown by the laws of 38 states and the District of Columbia. These 38 states and the District of Columbia have animal anti-cruelty laws that say “overdriving” and “overworking” an animal is animal cruelty.

When will this race of death be over?[/i]

I got the information from the website below:
http://www.helpsleddogs.org/

I challenge you to write your own letter and publish it. If the public knows then they can make a better decision on whether they will support this race or not.

Thank you

So if there is a law against such cruelties why it is not enforced?

In some countries laws that should protect human rights are not enforced… and humans can actually fight for their rights… what do you expect about animal rights. It’s still a long way till people develop a sense of responsibility towards animals. But we are making small steps in this direction, aren’t we… :smiley:

dogs right`s … animal rights …
Animal rights, also known as animal liberation, is the movement to protect non-human animals from being used or regarded as property by humans. It is a radical social movement insofar as it aims not only to attain more humane treatment for animals, but also to include species other than human beings within the moral community by giving their basic interests — for example, the interest in avoiding suffering — the same consideration as those of human beings.The claim is that animals should no longer be regarded legally or morally as property, or treated as resources for human purposes, but should instead be regarded as legal persons.

i`ll search for more information !