Are you veggie if you eat fish?

I know someone who considers themself to be vegetarian but eats seafood. I have recently cut out eating meat

however I still eat fish and do not consider myself veggie because of this. Is this vegetarian or piscatarian

(this word is not in the dictionary)?

Hi! I believe the word you’re looking for is Pescatarian :slight_smile:

A lot of people where I live consider pescatarians to be vegetarians :imp: I’ve had some arguements with restaurant staff over it :blackeye: I’ve also noticed that it happens in Germany a lot, for some reason: Cafes and Restaurants will have a “Fleichlos” (land-dwelling meat-free) option (if you’re lucky), but not necessarily a ‘proper’ vegetarian option.

Where I live as well many people think that vegetarians eat fish. :slight_smile:

But I think that wich eat fish are not vegetarians

If you consume or use any animal products then you are not vegan.

From Vegan Society :

• Question: What is a vegan?

Answer: A vegan is someone who tries to live without exploiting animals, for the benefit of animals, people and the planet. Vegans eat a plant-based diet, with nothing coming from animals - no meat, milk, eggs or honey, for example. A vegan lifestyle also avoids leather, wool, silk and other animal products for clothing or any other purpose.

• Question: What’s the difference between ‘vegan’ and ‘vegetarian’?

Answer: A vegetarian person chooses not to eat foods which come from dead animals, such as meat, gelatine and rennet. A vegan person doesn’t eat anything that comes from living animals either, like milk and eggs. Vegans also try to avoid using any animal products, like leather or wool, for clothing or any other purpose.

• Question: How did the word vegan come about?

Answer: It is the beginning and end of the word, ‘vegetarian’. It was coined in the UK by Donald Watson in 1944 when The Vegan Society was founded. It symbolises that veganism is the logical conclusion of the vegetarian journey to good health without the suffering or death of any animal.

I remember once my wife and I were in a sushi house. I ordered some sushi with vegetables and she ordered some Japanese pasta with vegetables. We clearly told the waiter that we are vegetarians and asked for vegetarian foods.

The sushi was ok, but when the guy brought the pasta it had something on it that was moving… my wife was shocked, she almost screamed. :slight_smile: The waiter told us that it is just hot fish skin or something, that it is there for beauty only we don’t have to eat it. :unamused:

Vegetarians do not eat animals. Fish are animals, too. =]

many people call themselves vegetarian and eat fish, but strictly speaking you are not

There are different “types”. Before turning vegan, I was a “lacto ovo” vegetarian. I still ate eggs and dairy.

I know people that consider themselves vegetarians that eat fish and chicken.

I think it’s a great start! I started off with no meat, then had a vegan diet, and now trying for a vegan lifestyle (not using products tested on animals, made with animal products, etc). It’s not easy, but it gets easier and I for one feel better both mentally and physically.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

8)

If it had a face, it’s NOT vegetarian. :wink:

There are different types of vegetarians and I eat fish and I am considered a vegetarian…my doctor says if I do not eat fish then I would most likely die…

This is so educational… This will help those who are having hard time to compare vegetarian from vegan… Thanks a lot…