Any suggestions? I'm allergic to soy!

I am veggie, almost vegan, would probably be vegan if I could be sure I could do Ok.
I do not tolerate milk products so have given up these with no problem. I actually don’t feel well when I eat eggs, so if I do eat eggs it is few and far between, have never really cared much for the taste either.
But two main sources of protein in a vegan/ veggie diet are soy and mushrooms. I am allergic to both, go fig. I love both, they just don’t do me any favors.
Any suggestions on other protien alternatives?

Theoretically it’s possible to be vegan without soy and mushrooms.
I’m almost vegan and I eat soy and mooshrooms very rarelly.
Can you eat kidney-beans, peas, chick-peas?

Do you have allergies to soy products like milk, tofu or to soy beans in general?

What about your physical activities? Do you exercise?

Here are some options that you have for getting the protein, sticking to your vegetarian diet and not having to eat soy:

* Wheat grains. Wheat grains are very high in protein and serve as the best non-soy alternative for vegetarians. Vegetarian breads made without dairy will work for vegans as well.
* Pastas. Pastas are another terrific option. Choose non-bleached pasta for the most healthful option. Add protein-rich vegetables to your pasta for additional benefits and better flavor.
* Cereals. Certain cereals are rich in protein and offer a great way to get a good start on the day. Since you can't drink soy milk with them, consider rice milk or another milk alternative. Protein-rich cereals can also be combined with nuts and dried fruits to make trail mix snacks that are high in protein, giving you a protein boost throughout the day.
* Protein-rich vegetables. If you choose your vegetables wisely and prepare them healthfully (eating them raw or steamed lightly), they can be a terrific source of protein. The vegetables you'll want to stock up on for protein purposes include leeks, parsley, chives, and red and green peppers.
* Seaweed. Technically a vegetable, seaweed deserves a category of its own because it is such a popular non-soy choice for proteins. It is added to vegan shakes to boost proteins or can be consumed on its own.
* Seeds. Seeds of all kinds are rich in protein. They can be eaten alone as snacks, combined into trail mix, added as a topping to salads and used as an ingredient in entrees. Sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds are the most popular high-protein seeds.
* Walnuts, almonds and cashews. Nuts aren't as high in protein as seeds but they're another good choice to add to your daily diet to get the protein you need. These ones are highest in protein compared to others.
* Apricots and peaches. Fruit is not generally a great source of protein. But since you probably have some fruit in your regular diet, choose apricots and peaches since they're among the highest in protein content for their food category.

Here you can see a list of raw vegan products rich in proteins:
food.vegtalk.org/nutrients/frui … tein-desc/

This list emphasizes raw foods. I noticed raw cashews are very high on the list for food values. However, I’ve heard that raw cashews are toxic.

The list makes no mention of the toxicity of any of the foods.

Can we really eat raw nuts? Sometimes I have tried eating raw peanuts but I can’t take the taste…

Raw pecans are so tasty! I grew up on property that had several pecan trees. I spent all fall eating pecans every day for about 10 years of my life until we moved. Raw Almonds are also tasty, try them out :slight_smile:

Soy is the least of your problems buddy

All of these products come from cattle
From the top!
Brain: Anti-aging cream, Medicines

Hooves/Horns: Adhesives, plastics, pet food, plant food, photo film, shampoo and conditioner, lamination, wallpaper, plywood

Blood: Posta, imitation eggs, cake mixes, dyes and inks, adhesives, minerals, medicines, lab research materials

Bones: Refined sugar, charcoal, fertilizer, glass

Internal organs: Instrumental strings, tennis racquet string, hormones, enzymes, vitamins and other medical materials

Milk: Adhesives, plastics, cosmetics, medicines

Hair: air filters, brushes, felt, insulation, plaster, textiles

Skin: Gelatin, flavorings, sheetrock, wallpaper, adhesives, medicines, candies and confectionary
Manure: fertilizer, nitrogen, phosphorous

Fat: Chewing gum, candles, detergents, fabric softener, deoderant, shaving cream, perfume, petfood, cosmetics, creams and lotions, crayons, paint, oils and lubraicants, biodiesel, plastics, waterproofing agents, cement, chalk, explosives, fireworks, matches, fertilizer, antifreeze, insulation, linoleum, rubber, textiles, medicines

If you use any of these you cannot claim to truthfully be a vegan, bad luck

I am a normal looking man. I’ve been vegan around a decade. I don’t eat mushrooms (my wife can’t stand them) and personally soy and the financing behind much of it’s research seems nearly as suspect as what comes out of the meat industry. Needless to say I don’t eat it either. Very occasionally I may eat a small amount of some kind of legumes (eg lentils), but this is once a week tops. I regularly haul wood logs. Chase kids. Hike.

After all this, I can tell you I have no protein problems at all.

There are things to watch seriously on a vegan diet (b12, eating more veg than rice and fake foods like soy meats). Protein is not one of these. Vegans caught up in the protein hype just end up overeating high protein vegan foods and getting other problems. The problem isn’t finding high protein vegan foods. The problem is over-eating any protein to try and fit in with a myth created by the beef industry.

If you’re really determined though, you’ll find that you can easily get the recommended (cough) amounts of protein from things like Sunwarrior rice protein powder, green powders, seeds (usually higher in protein than nuts). There are proteins from legumes and such (eg Vega) however they tend to taste horrid compared to rice derived ones like Sunwarrior. I used to try them, but gave them up when I found Sunwarrior. After a while I found I wasn’t using that either. Nothing against it. It’s just been gathering dust in my cupboard for a long time. :slight_smile: Some vegans will use spirulina / chlorella, too which have more protein per gram than almost any whole food (about 65% if I remember correctly compared to 13-19% for meat). It’s pretty debatable as to whether these are plants / animals / something else though, so that’s a personal decision if they’re “Vegan”.

Interesting, what was that about the soy? I haven’t really heard that before.

theres always coconut milk.

THERE ARE SO MANY SOY ALTERNATIVES. THERE IS AN ADEQUATE AMOUNT IN MANY VEGETABLES, NUTS, LEGUMES, ETC, I HAVE BEEN EATING VEGAN FOR FORTY-FIVE YEARS AND HAVE HAD NO HEALTH CRISES WHATSOEVER. THE NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN IN A VEGAN DIET IS PURELY MYTH. IF ANYTHING, PEOPLE GET FAR TOO MUCH PROTEIN TO SUSTAIN HEALTH.

The man clearly has a case of chronic caps.

Am, Soy is good but your body doesn’t agree on it. Try to ask a doctor about it. :smiley: