Amino Acids

I had a co-worker ask me how I plan to get my proper intake of amino acids today after I told him I had decided to become Vegan. I didn’t have a proper answer for him. I know that amino acids come from protein sources and that several vegetables contain protein. But from the little research I have done so far I am being led to believe that a Vegan must consume several different types of nuts and vegetables on a daily basis in order to sustain oneself regarding amino acid intake. So instead of blindly searching Google for answers I figured I would ask my fellow Vegans, particularly those of you who have been doing this for longer than I have. I never plan to consume animal products again, but I would like to receive the proper nutrients in the process. Any comments that would help me with this are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I work out on a regular basis, from running to biking and light weights. When I became a vegan a few years ago, I didn’t really understand the protein / amino acid thing and noticed right away that when I stopped eating ground beef and fish, my energy levels went down very quickly. I started implementing green vegetables, black beans and variety of grain breads in my daily diet. Most importantly though, I typically have a protein shake for breakfast or lunch and then a protein bar during a workout.

Kevin ProteinVegan

uhhhh… first off google is your friend.

food combining works, there is protein in practically everything.

don’t fall for the protein myth.

read skinny bitch http://www.skinnybitch.net/

peta.org/issues/Animals-Used … otein.aspx

peta.org/about/faq/Can-I-get … vegan.aspx

eatveg.com/intro.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=7z54lw3w1QE

A Vegan protein powder consisting of pea / rice protein delivers almost the same amino acid profile as whey protein. Even if you’re eating a wide variety of beans, I think you should at least supplement this kind of powder once or twice per day.

Here’s a really good article on the pea / rice combo:
The Best Protein for a Detoxification Diet

Steve Warshaw - Nutritionist
e. steve@energiefitness.net

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. They band together in chains to form the stuff from which your life is born. Think of amino acids as Legos for your life.
It’s a two-step process: Amino acids get together and form peptides or polypeptides. It is from these groupings that proteins are made. And there’s not just one kind of amino acid.
A total of 20 different kinds of amino acids form proteins. The kinds of amino acids determine the shape of the proteins formed. Commonly recognized amino acids include glutamine, glycine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and valine. Three of those — phenylalanine, tryptophan, and valine — are essential amino acids for humans; the others are isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, and threonine. The essential amino acids cannot be synthesized by the body; instead, they must be ingested through food.
Amino acids make up 75% of the human body. They are essential to nearly every bodily function. Every chemical reaction that takes place in your body depends on amino acids and the proteins that they build.